Tips for inducing labour?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

beachbaby Posts: 22
I'm 37 weeks today and am thinking of what I'll do in a few weeks to bring on the labour. Here are the things I know anyone want to add to the list? Also if you think any of them worked? Sex Long walk Raspberry leaf tea, how much of it? Acupuncture, did it work is it expensive? Reflexology Spicy food I don't mind being a week late but two weeks would kill me!
Dipsy80 Posts: 1038
A few people I know swear by Castor oil. Never used it myself.
Babymama12 Posts: 267
From someone who literally tried every single one of these things and went 10 days over finally being induced I would say don't waste your time, energy and money! Just enjoy the next few weeks and get plenty of rest while you can :)
rop Posts: 1453
Exact same as new carville, if I had of known that all of my efforts were in vain I wouldn't have bothered and just enjoyed the extra 2 weeks! I don't think anything can spur it on really, it happens when it happens! Good luck with it all x
aston Posts: 4100
Agree with the girls, your baby will come when the time is up and your LO wants to enter the world! Would recommend loads of rest and just spoiling yourself now! Good luck hun :wv
Babymama12 Posts: 267
My midwife said - time come, baby come and it is so true!
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
I know it is not what you want to hear but I agree with the girls, tried it all and no good, went 10 days over. But if your interested in a few more just to waste some time on the count down and who knows they might work for you here are a few more: eat lots of fresh pineapple hot baths I would not recommend the castor oil at all, that comes with some risks attached. Also this is open for correction but I think raspberry leaf tea is actually just to help soften your cervix not induce labour :wv
Martiespride Posts: 997
i went 10 days over and induced. tried EVERYthing, relax and get as much rest as possible. time come baby come. your bobog will come when they are ready. best of luck
beachbaby Posts: 22
Thanks for brutal honesty ladies! So I think I'll try all the free and easy ones! You never know it might work and won't have wasted money! Was all set to start acupuncture but won't now!
Shen Dao Acupuncture Posts: 12
Hi Beachbaby, I can provide you with some information about acupuncture. There are two kinds of treatments: acupuncture pre-birth treatments and acupuncture induction. Pre-birth acupuncture consists of 4 weekly treatments from week 37 onwards. It helps preparing you for the birth by ripening the cervix, relaxing the ligaments and making sure you are rested and have plenty of energy before you go into labour. Statistics show that it reduces the need for medical intervention, like induction, forceps, C-section and it also reduces the amount of time spent in labour. You are more likely to give birth at the right time, but bear in mind that the right time could still be past your due date since a normal pregnacy can last 38 to 42 weeks, and the due date is just an estimation. Acupuncture induction is different. It is meant to bring on labour. I personnally would only administer acupuncture induction a couple of days before a medical induction was scheduled, in order to avoid it if possible. Here's a link with some research: Hope this helps, Sabine.