Top table issues

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sallyt Posts: 46
I'm having an issue with my top table planning, basically there isn't enough room at the table for the priest and all the wedding party. Has anyone been at a wedding where the priest has been sat at a different table instead of the top table?
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
Yes, I'm not Catholic but at our wedding our vicar sat at a table with older family, some of who he'd know.
NinjaDonDon Posts: 300
We've changed the shape of our top table from a circle to a rectangle missing one side |_| to accommodate a bridal party of 12 plus priest. Would that be an option?
30something Posts: 644
People can sit wherever. Remember you're not obliged to have a particular lay out. The priest will probably want to say grace, so just make sure a mike can get to him, wherever he sits.
Lisaanne Posts: 80
We're putting our priest with neighbours, i don't know him well enough to have at the top table. And we don't want grace, so he won't be getting a mic either!!
[quote="Lisaanne":2b00jxwc]We're putting our priest with neighbours, i don't know him well enough to have at the top table. And we don't want grace, so he won't be getting a mic either!![/quote:2b00jxwc] You've chosen to have a religous ceremony, so be prepared for the priest to continue with that theme.
lorrimar Posts: 837
I was at a civil ceremony wedding last year and at the meal the hotel asked for someone to say grace as there was no priest. The grooms father said it.
[quote="lorrimar":p1222mvq]I was at a civil ceremony wedding last year and at the meal the hotel asked for someone to say grace as there was no priest. The grooms father said it.[/quote:p1222mvq] Awkward! That wasn't the hotel's place to call on that kind of thing. Out of habit maybe.
ForeverOB2015 Posts: 90
our coordinator asked us if we were going to have our priest at the meal, we arnt as he has mass that evening, so she asked would we like someone to say grace, we said no, so maybe just tell the venue if you dont want it?
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
We had 14 at the top table so it was a long row with wings on each end for 2 more people, like above poster said a rectangle with one long side taken out. The priest is related to DH's family so he sat at the top table but I would have included him up there regardless, is it not a bit disrespectful to have the priest sit elsewhere...? Am I wrong in that?