trick or treaters

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

morningsun Posts: 784
What do you say to trick or treaters? I have being standing at my door awkwardly saying "em em.... happy halloween" feeling like a gombeen. God I am so uncool :-8
excitedlady Posts: 431
Lol first year I manned the door at my mama I felt like that too. It gets easier!! I pretend to be frightened by the scary ones and they love it! Just try ask them what they've dressed up as and ohh and ah and you'll be grand! I'm in an apartment now and we never get callers :( I miss it!!
superpower Posts: 367
Ha ha Im the same. But I remember as a trick or treater just wanting to move from house to house as quick as possible! There were always the neighbours that would ask for a song or a dance or a poem and Id have to oblige!
belcra Posts: 1097
LOL - why don't you tell them how scary or cool their costumes are.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
"Great costumes!" "Have a great night!" And, more recently, "Sorry, we're out of sweets..." :weep
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
I've just been saying HELLO very loudly and fake enthusiastically. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Halloween and love seeing the kids dressed up, but I never know what to say and, you know, they're not my kids and I'm sh*t at small talk. So a big fake HELLO or HAPPY HALLOWEEN is about the height of what I get up to! The kids all say 'hello' or 'trick or treat' and then 'thank you' at the end and then go on their way so they're not so into the small talk either!
morningsun Posts: 784
:o0 SK that is just me! Crap with kids never know what to say :yelrotflmaosmilie: Can't say how scary their costumes are when they are dressed as princesses/ladybirds/bees etc :o0
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
I don't mind the ones that are really enthusiastic because you can be just as enthusiastic back but the ones that are slightly older and just doing it for the loot are the ones that I never know what to say to. We'd a good few callers this year. The last few years I was disgusted as nobody called :o(
xxxbabyxxx Posts: 226
lol I'm the same! I made the mistake of telling my neighbours little one that she was gorgeous and she was not impressed.....she said "I'm meant to be scary!" so I think I'll stick to Happy Hallow'een instead!
geeklover Posts: 831
I just said I love your outfits/that's a great mask/you're make up is great! I had LO in a Halloween babygro so some of the kids were saying how cute she was. It made it a bit more fun this year having her to open the door with. Now if the fireworks/bangers would stop the poor creature would be able to stay asleep!