Unemployed Expectant Mammies : Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsDarcy Posts: 805
Hi Girls I’m going to be unemployed on this pregnancy from about week 19. I know that I’ll miss out on the maternity payment as I’ll be fully unemployed before I hit the 24 week mark (there’s no hope of my employer extending my term as the whole company is closing down). But I see on the Citizens Info website that even while I’m pg I have to still be looking for work. Now, I’m not an expert but I would think that I haven’t a hope of a new job being nearly 20 weeks pregnant. Not that I’m not going to be looking, obviously I’ll keep a lookout for suitable positions, but I’d imagine that I wouldn’t have a hope if I was up against someone who wasn’t pregnant looking for the same job. But to those of you who are in the same boat – how often do you have to meet with the welfare board and what do they expect you to do about looking for work? Do they interrogate you about not finding work? And ask you about your plans after baby is born? I hope you can help, because I am stressing a bit as I hate the thoughts of going in front of a board and having to explain myself. Thanks in advance :lvs
jewellb Posts: 2389
no real advise for you, but is there anyway you could look for a new job sooner, i know easier said than done, i know a company cant ask if you are pregnant, i know where i work you have to be in the job 11 weeks before you can get maternity benefit. sorry im sure this reply is no real help at all, hope you get some good advise :lvs :lvs
Thanks jewellb I can't leave until the redundancy package has been agreed and I don't see that happening for another 6-8 weeks. It's a pain in the a$$
Hyper2012 Posts: 1327
I'm not on the Dole I'm on the Sick/disability Payment. I know they are not the same and work differently but I'm still entitled to Maternity Benefit I'm out on sick since last February Full 8years work before that so im entitled to the maternity payment of €260 instead of the €188 sick for the 26weeks. Woud you not be the same?
theoracle Posts: 7664
It works differently when you are unemployed as when you are on sick leave. When you are on sick leave you are still officially in employment, which is the condition for MB. MrsDarcy, why don't you apply for one of the Xmas jobs in retail, that way you both get SW out of your hair with a job, it is only temporary hence you can get it even if PG, and also - you would get your stamp within 16 weeks and hence qualifying for MB? Could be best of all world's for you.
Hyper2012 Posts: 1327
I see I'm very clueless to this stuff!!
Thanks for your replies girls The Oracle, that would actually be ideal and as long as it takes me up to the end of January I’d be ok for MB. It’s funny how things work out. This time last month I was planning a summer baby and off work for the summer again. Little did I know, I’d be on a permanent holiday!