Menu

US Visas

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

edit Posts: 982
We travelled to NYC about 4 years ago and discovered when we got home that the actual "green card" was still stapled to the inside of our passports. H2B rang the embassy and they said it was fine, that our passports would have been scanned to show that we left. We need to get new passports now, because we travelled to the Middle East and don't really want their stamps on our passport when travelling to the US - iykwim - :o( So I just thought I'd check the embassy website and it says now that we have to send in loads of documents to prove we're back in the country and left when we were supposed to etc. Did anyone else have experience of this? :o(
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
We go to the US all the time and have never had any real problems but one time a couple of years ago when my Dad went they forgot to take the Green Card back out of his Passport. When he went back to the US the Customs officers gave him a bit of a hard time about it as it is your own responsibility to make sure it is gone but he politely explained that he could not possibly be still in the US and yet be getting off a plane from Ireland. Not sure if he just got a nice one or not but he didn't have too much trouble with it. I would recommend in future to always check though as mine was also nearly left in the passport once only I notice. Hope it all works out for you. :wv
Yeh I suppose I should have but I just thought their systems would be a bit more hi-tech and that they couldn't possibly record entries and exits from a piece of paper. Unbelieveable :eek Don't even know if I have the damn thing - I'll have to upend the house this evening as we're booked to go the US in 3 months and don't want any extra hassle. Thanks :wv
[quote="Indiee":18giq663]Yeh I suppose I should have but I just thought their systems would be a bit more hi-tech and that they couldn't possibly record entries and exits from a piece of paper. Unbelieveable :eek Don't even know if I have the damn thing - I'll have to upend the house this evening as we're booked to go the US in 3 months and don't want any extra hassle. Thanks :wv[/quote:18giq663] I know it is mad isn't it, for being so fussy you think it would be something they would check. I never considered it until my Dad was caught with his one but after that I do. Do you actually nedd the slip to give back to them or can you just explain what happened. I would try ringing the embassy again, maybe they can give you a letter to explain the whole thing. Try not to worry about it though.
Psycho Sue Posts: 1875
Hiya, I'm not sure if I'll have trouble going to the US too, but when I was in Florida 7 years ago, I lost the visa for handing in when I was leaving the country, however, I was told to get my passport stamped when I got back to Dublin, to prove that I had returned home (which I did). The only thing is, I had to get my new passport last month, so I'll have to bring my old one with me too! I just hope against all hope they won't give me hassle heading off on my honeymoon.........It really would mean setting off on a bad start. We flew direct the last time, so can anyone tell me if (we are going via Heathrow this time) I'll have to do the customs thing here in Ireland or in London??? sue
Visas to the U.S. Did you surrender your I-94/I-94W arrival/departure card on your Departure from the United States? Recording Your Departure After The Fact Applicant Responsibilities - Visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website for more information about your I-94/I-94W. I-94/I-94W Instructions - Visit the CBP Website. If you returned home with your departure record Form I-94 (white) or Form I-94W (green) in your passport, it means that your departure was not recorded properly. It is in your best interest to correct this record. You must provide U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) sufficient information so that agency can record your timely departure from the United States. This will close out your earlier record of arrival to the United States. If you do not validate a timely departure from the United States, or if you cannot reasonably prove otherwise when you next apply for admission to the United Sates, the USCBP may conclude you remained in the in the United States beyond your authorized stay. If this happens, the next time you apply to enter the United States, your visa may be subject to cancellation or you may be returned immediately to your foreign point of origin. In particular, visitors who remain beyond their permitted stay in the United States under the Visa Waiver Program cannot reenter the United States in the future without obtaining a visa from a United States Consulate. If this occurs and you arrive at a United States port-of-entry seeking admission under the Visa Waiver Program without a visa, United States immigration officers may order your immediate return to a foreign point of origin. To validate departure, the USCBP will consider a variety of information, including, but not limited to: Original boarding passes you used to depart the United States; Photocopies of entry or departure stamps in your passport indicating entry to another country after you departed the United States (you should copy all passport pages that are not completely blank, and include the biographical page containing your photograph.), and photocopies of other supporting evidence, such as: Dated payslips or vouchers from your employer to indicate you worked in another country after you departed the United States; Dated bank records showing transactions to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States; School records showing attendance at a school outside the United States to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States; Dated credit card receipts, showing your name, but, the credit card number deleted, for purchases made after you left the United States to indicate you were in another country after leaving the United States. It is very important that you complete the back of the I-94/I94W card listing the port of departure and date of departure from the United States and the carrier/flight information and include the original card with the other documents. Your statement will not be acceptable without supporting evidence such as noted above. You must mail legible copies or original materials where possible. If you send original materials, you should retain a copy. The USCBP cannot return original materials after processing. To help the USCBP understand the situation and correct your records quickly, please include an explanation letter in English. You must send your letter and enclosed information only to the following address: ACS Inc. 1084 South Laurel Rd. London, Kentucky 40744 USA Do not mail your departure Form I-94 or supporting information to any United States Consulate or Embassy, to any other USCBP office in the United States, or to any address other than the one above. Only at this location are the USCBP able to make the necessary corrections to USCBP records to prevent inconvenience to you in the future. Travelers should keep a copy of what they send to ACS Inc. and to carry it with them the next time they come to the U.S. in case the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer has any questions about their eligibility to enter. If you wish to confirm that your I-94 departure was recorded, four months after submitting documents to ACS, you can write to the following address with your name, date of birth, passport number, date of departure, and request to confirm whether or not your departure was recorded: U.S. Customs and Border Protection Air Sea Passenger Operations Room 5.4D 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington, D.C. 20229 I no longer have the card! If you left the United States with the I-94 or I-94W in your possession but no longer have the card, you should write to ACS Inc.,1084 South Laurel Rd., London, Kentucky 40744, USA, with the following information: Name; date and place of birth; country of citizenship; date of arrival in the U.S.; date of departure from the United States; airline or carrier departed on; flight number or name of vessel. If departure was via a land border port please enter "land" instead of carrier information. You must also include evidence of your departure as noted above. I am experiencing problems when I enter the United States If you believe that you are having problems entering the United States due to incorrect arrival and departure information, you can request a review of the information by writing to the following office and including evidence of your departure. U.S. Customs and Border Protection Air Sea Passenger Operations Room 5.4D 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington, D.C. 20229
[quote="lucky bride":iw5ybh2u] I know it is mad isn't it, for being so fussy you think it would be something they would check. I never considered it until my Dad was caught with his one but after that I do. Do you actually nedd the slip to give back to them or can you just explain what happened. I would try ringing the embassy again, maybe they can give you a letter to explain the whole thing. Try not to worry about it though.[/quote:iw5ybh2u] You're supposed to give it back but we don't have ours so we'll just have to look around for our boarding cards (where do I start), get payslips, credit card statements etc. Embassy are no help and the lady was quite rude. >:o( Thanks :wv
H2B is Bridezilla Posts: 89
My H2B was not allowed into the states a few years ago because he over stayed a three month visa by around five days. He was going on work trip to Vegas with a large electronic supplier and when they got to Chicago they would not let him into the country. He had only over stayed by a few days and had been back to the States a couple of times between when he over stayed and when they refused him entry. They were letting other people in with a similar sort of problem but he was just unlucky and got some immigration officer that was having a bad day. He now has a ten year visa for the states that he got by calling the embassy and going into visit them. It is well worth calling the embassy as it could ruin your honeymoon.
Psycho Sue Posts: 1875
Thanks for this ladies! I had a minor Panic attack, after reading the I-94 imformation if you had lost it, so I called them and spoke to a lady who told me exactly what to do, and she told me that it should be absolutely fine, as long as I have plenty of documentation to say that I have been working here since etc... So fingers crossed.....
[quote="Indiee":q151gbhn]You're supposed to give it back but we don't have ours so we'll just have to look around for our boarding cards (where do I start), get payslips, credit card statements etc. Embassy are no help and the lady was quite rude. >:o( Thanks :wv[/quote:q151gbhn] I know you weren't keen on having the stamp from the Middle East on your passport but if you travelled there since you were in the US it might actually be of help. It is amazing how little help these embassies and government bodies can be considering you are trying to rectify the problem. I mean FFS I'm sure this has happened to loads of people, you'd think that they would have a system to work it out quickly. Hope it all works out for you as easily as possible. Let us know how you get on. :wv