Veneer

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

missymoomooo Posts: 639
Hi Ladies, Just wondering if any of you have got veneers done? I've got a dead tooth at the front of my mouth from having a root canal done a few years ago and it's started to dis-colour now and i hate it so i've decided to get a veneer on it. My dentist was undecided about weather a crown might be better but i really didn't want a "fake tooth" so he agreed that a veneer would be ok...and a lot cheaper for me too! Just wondering what it's like getting it done, does it hurt? How does it look? Does the colour match your own teeth ok? Thanks
Little Boots Posts: 301
That is exactly the same as me! Isn’t root canal torture? I went for a porcelain fused to metal crown after going through the pros and cons. I have had it for five years now and not a days trouble. The metal post is not visible and it looks really natural, after years of not smiling! I’m not sure what you mean about the fake tooth thing as a veneer will necessitate your own tooth being filed too. Veneers need a lot of upkeep too, and they need replacing more often than crowns. For me, teeth is one place I wouldn't cut corners financially. Painwise, if you survived root canal, you'll survive a crown/veneer. :o0
Hi Littleboots, I thought the root canal was totally fine, honestly didn't feel a thing. That's grand so hopefully the veneer will be painfree! The reason i didn't go for the crown is becasue the dentist explained he'd be paring my tooth down to a "nub" and then fitting the crown to go 360degrees around, so effectively a fake tooth. The veener on the other hand only cover the front of the tooth which for me is all i want to cover the dis=colouring. There's not actually anything wrong with the tooth so i really didn't want to have pared down to nothing. He said i should get about 15 years on the veneer which is pretty good i thought, considering it's half the price of the crown and i know lots of people who have had crowns that have fallen out and they are left looking like hobo's until the dentist fits them in to fix it. This is like my worst nightmare, at least if the veneer comes off i still have my full tooth there not a big gap. I'm just concerned with the process, like does it hurt when they shave the tooth? How do they fix the veneer to your own tooth? How well do the colours match to your own teeth?
But there is something wrong with the tooth, its dead! I cant really say regarding the veneer, as I don’t have one. All I can tell you is that Im thrilled with my crown. *)
MeSB Posts: 3785
Hi Flower Angel, I'm not looking for the veneer just becasue it's cheaper...i've had fillings, root canals, an extraction, braces and wisdom teeth surgically removed all over the last 3 years so I'm surely not going to be taking the cheaper option now after spending so much to get my teeth the way i want them. I just don't want a crown because i hate the idea of not having all my own teeth, i know that stupid but that's just what i have stick in my head. There is nothing wrong with the tooth in that it doesn't need to come out and is not rotten. The nerve is dead (obviously since i had the root canal) but it's only for cosmetic reasons i'm getting the veneer done. The dis-colour is not even that noticeable it's just in photos I notice it and hate it and the dentist said he could bleach it but it wouldn't be 100% white so a veneer or crown were the other options. The concern he had with the veneer was that it might not be thick enough to cover the dis-colouring completely but he checked it up and said he was happy that it would be ok. Is there anyone who's had a veneer fitted that can tell me what it's like?
[quote="*Pink Lady*":nleoaiw4]Hi Flower Angel, i've had an extraction, wisdom teeth surgically removed ...i hate the idea of not having all my own teeth, i know that stupid but that's just what i have stick in my head. [/quote:nleoaiw4] But you dont have all your own teeth! :o0 Bleaching is very short term and as Ive said, Id recommend the crown. *)
[quote="Flower Angel":3e5uscin]Little Boots I have to have the same as you (possibly) a route cannal and a crown. My tooth looks ok, but it's made up of white filling so much so that the dentist said I'm better getting a crown while I actually still have enough of the tooth left to fit a crown on. It's my front tooth too so like you I don't want to cut corner or anything and wuldn't have enough real tooth left for a veneer. Anyway I only found this out last week so it's very reasuring to know that you have had the same treatment and had no problems. Thanks a mill. [/quote:3e5uscin] Where are you based? Ill give you the name of the dentist that did my crown, she was amazing, Dr. Susan Croke 140, Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2. Very gentle, and took ages to match the colour.
yankiecandle Posts: 2888
ive got a dark tooth from having braces years ago. (not having a root canal as i doesnt bother me & dentist said if its not painful etc, leave it) im going to try bleaching it first, before getting a veneer, could you try this? :thnk
Yes Littleboots you've said that 3 times...got it! :o0 NYEbride2010 he said we could try the bleaching but it was his opinion that it would be a waste of money because in the time i had the braces on it dis coloured more and he didn't think the bleach would get it back up to the whiteness of the rest of my teeth without damaging the tooth. I kind of knew this would be the case because he had warned me about it a few years previous. Just hoping the veneer gives me the results i want. I'm a bit concerned about the colour matching!