We are moving - don't know if its a :) or :(

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

PearlBaby Posts: 532
So DH got offered a huge promotion and they are going to pay rent for the first 6 months that we are away. Pro's *) It means that we are going to move home (currently live in Cork and originally from the North) *) We will have the love and support of our families when we have our baby *) We worked it out and we will actually be better off financially *) Dont have to worry every year about how the hell we are going to be get home for Christmas (when the weather is bad) *) Cheaper car tax, docs appointments, lower cost of living (cheaper everything really) Con's *) I have a full time permanent job here BUT i have very anti social and difficult hours so was already dreading going back to work after having our baby *) We own our house here and have a mortgage but am fairly sure we can rent it out. I am also lost whether i tell the social protection or not? I am obviously fully entitled to maternity pay as i have worked here for 5 years but as we are moving out of the state do i stop claiming? Its a genuine question girls as i really dont know. Girls i am just so confused - one minute i think it is the best thing to move home to our families and then i wonder if i mad to move without a job? I have really good friends here but DH wouldnt have as many. Whereas we both have our families and friends at home. Reading back on this i know i probably have answered all my own questions but its leaving my job really that frightens me...
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
Oooh it's a toughie, but I think you want to go. We've just moved back up home to Donegal after years in Dublin, and although we're still settling in, so far we're really enjoying being up here. It's different for us, as work wasn't an issue (I now work remotely). I can't say what you should do, but I know a LOT of people would sell their grannies to get home. Your house and job are of course serious issues to think about, but if you aren't going to suffer too much financially I think I would go for it, especially with the new baby (congrats btw, only just twigged that you'd changed your user name! :duh: ) Is it possible to do your job in the place you'd be moving to (as in, does the industry exist there)? Who knows, maybe you'd enjoy a couple of years at home with bubs and then find that you can work in the new area?
Thanks Rocksie. I know DH is really keen for the move too but i think he is worried that i will regret leaving my job. I dont love my job and its actually in the aviation industry and there isnt much happening there at the moment and my job at the minute is about 85% secure - you never know what might happen. I have a strong background in admin and in particular HR so could try that again...i would love to do my CIPD (HR cert) and i was thinking i could do that too.
Synergy Posts: 2768
Ah don't leave me PearlBaby! Just kidding, you'll have a great time back home just in time for the baba. Sure there's more airports up North. Everything happens for a reason. You're family will be overjoyed :compress
polly inn Posts: 178
Hi pearlbaby, We moved home to Ireland from abroad last year. We both had VERY well paid jobs abroad but I hated mine and neither of us were particularly happy where we lived. We moved back and everyone said we were crazy with recession and no jobs etc etc. DP got a job no problem as he's in IT but there is nothing for me here. Also I was pregnant and really thought it would be better being at home with a new baby...god how right a move that was. I could not tell you how helpful and amazing my parents have been. It's so overwhelming and I don't know how we would have coped without them. We have moved house twice and DP has moved jobs twice so its been chaotic but my parents and family were there to help out through it all. I honestly don't think you will regret moving back. Good luck with it all! :wv
Synergy how could i move with you still here - off course i'll stay. Seriously though thanks for the spur on - think i just need reassurance. @pollyinn - family is a huge factor why we are moving and i reckon if we have this opportunity to move now we should grab it with both hands. My family will worry that i have no job but at the same time they will be thrilled that their grandchild will be near (and their daughter off course :o0 )
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
PrincessFiona Posts: 72
When are ye plannning on leaving . You can go on early maternity leave from either 24 or 26 weeks, you'd need to look this up. You are perfectly entitled to maternity benefit from the south as thats where you have worked. If you were to leave immediately you'd need to make sure you work within the last 16 weeks of your pregnancy to claim mat benefit. Even if you got a day temping in Monaghan or Donegal this would cover you.
[quote="PrincessFiona":2ae1xkch]When are ye plannning on leaving . You can go on early maternity leave from either 24 or 26 weeks, you'd need to look this up. You are perfectly entitled to maternity benefit from the south as thats where you have worked. If you were to leave immediately you'd need to make sure you work within the last 16 weeks of your pregnancy to claim mat benefit. Even if you got a day temping in Monaghan or Donegal this would cover you.[/quote:2ae1xkch] Thats great to know - i will be in the last 16 weeks so i can claim when we move :o)ll
black pearl Posts: 3513
Pearl baby I'm totally jealous that you are getting to move home, I would love to move West to my family but it looks like we stay in Dublin. I think you should go for it, to be honest when I had DD i would have given anything to have my mother close by as opposed to 3hrs away, your are doing the best thing and you'll be better off financially! Best of luck keep us posted! x