WEDDING ENTERTAINMENT?? ??????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

white wedding Posts: 59
HI everyone, Just wondering if anyone did anything 'strange' or 'startling' for their wedding entertainment, i was thinking of fireworks in between the band and DJ but i am not sure! Also is a chocolate fountain a waste? If anyone has any ideas, big or small please let me know :wv :wv :wv :wv :wv Thanks, O-O O-O O-O
Nobigdress Posts: 452
Hi, I'm trying to cut out those kinds of costs UNLESS I really feel they will add to the day. (Talk about an unhelpful comment!) I personally wouldnt see much value in a chocolate fountain and would worry about the weather with fireworks. Also, proper fireworks cost an absolute fortune or else I imagine they will be of the level of 'wow...wow...oh, its over'. I might be wrong and have never seen them at weddings but have seen fireworks that cost thousands and didnt last that long because they are so expensive. But if you feel that either of those things or other similar things will add to the atmosphere of the day and you can afford them, then go for it. As a guest, I would be neutral to both those ideas and find quite a few things that cost money go unnoticed or have been done a lot before. For free ideas, I have a friend who did a game of rounders between the drinks and the dinner as the weather was good, the photos are hillarious and it really added to the day. My H2B and I are from different decades so I'm trying to convince him to do a dance off during the evening with him giving the DJ a few songs from the 70's and me the 80's and then we split the floor and people move across to his or my side depending on how much they love the song. It could be naff but I think it will be a laugh as all our friends are split between the 2 decades too. Anyone else with any ideas for free entertainment?
Srian Posts: 179
Hi think if you can afford it go with the fireworks. I helped my best friends husband to organise fireworks as a surprise on the day of wedding and to be honest it made the day. they were beautiful. eventhough it had rained for much of the day (july) he was still able to do it. I think it was a guy from wexford and cost about 1300. i think. (we were in kerry, he does travel). I broke down crying during them as it was the perfect way to end the day. (dj did follow) The one thing i would say was for a 10 minute show make sure you get your 10 mins. eventhough it was brilliant thought there would be more, he was less than 10 minutes. I would also love a chocolate fountain but i think the price of them is too too much... sorry don't have any other ideas but thought i'd mention the fireworks.
queen30 Posts: 1551
Ive been thinking about this too. i dont know if we need something else if you know what i mean. i dont like chocolate fountains so wont be having one of those. was thinking about fireworks but they are expensive. people keep going on about characitures and magicians but neither really appeal to me to be honest.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
We had a 15/20 minute firework display between the meal and dancing. We had the money and really wanted them. It was more for us then for the benefit of our guests. I wholeheartedly agree that guests don't [i:7ylgojwv]need[/i:7ylgojwv] entertaining constantly through the day. Only do something if you and your OH really want it and might regret not doing it. We were blessed as we were married mid December but had a perfect dry, crisp day for the wedding and fireworks. Not even a hint of drizel (sp). People did really enjoy the fireworks and weren't expecting them so it was a nice surprise. But yeah, totally unnecessary, much like other parts of a wedding day. It's another frill. Don't put pressure on the budget and don't feel you have to have something different. No two weddings are the same anyway; with or without chocolate fountains.
do you mind me asking the cost of your fireworks Mrs Dodders? we probably have the budget just didnt want to spend loads and them be a damp squib. i think they would look great in our venue over the lake.
Thanks Mrs Dodders :thnk
mshelly Posts: 746
I don't think that i would pay all that money just to entertain my guests for all of 10 mins. You could easily put the money towards something else that lasts much longer. So if budget is not an issue then why not hire a photo booth and your guests can entertain themselves with it all evening, or hire some Irish dancers to do a performance and then get your guests up dancing, alternatively hire a comic for some light hearted entertainment or a caricaturist so that your guests can leave with a memento of the day. Or put the money into getting a really good band that will entertain you for the night. What is seemingly becoming rather popular is to provide "props" for people to use during the dancing. I have seen inflatable musical instruments, wigs, dummy microphones etc being provided and people have such a laugh with these, their inner rock god comes out.
Oceans high Posts: 45
[quote="Retiredbride":nl36efef]We had a 15/20 minute firework display between the meal and dancing. We had the money and really wanted them. It was more for us then for the benefit of our guests. I wholeheartedly agree that guests don't [i:nl36efef]need[/i:nl36efef] entertaining constantly through the day. Only do something if you and your OH really want it and might regret not doing it. We were blessed as we were married mid December but had a perfect dry, crisp day for the wedding and fireworks. Not even a hint of drizel (sp). People did really enjoy the fireworks and weren't expecting them so it was a nice surprise. But yeah, totally unnecessary, much like other parts of a wedding day. It's another frill. Don't put pressure on the budget and don't feel you have to have something different. No two weddings are the same anyway; with or without chocolate fountains.[/quote:nl36efef] would you mind sending me the info on fireworks as i would love to do that for our wedding thanx