What size does a photo have to be to upload???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DublinGirl Posts: 1307
Hi girls. I am trying in vain here and about to crack up as I am trying to upload photos of a buggy I am selling. When I try to attach it keeps saying file invalid....????? I am just wondering why this is happening and can only assume the photo is too big....It's 3.55mb 3648x2736pixels.... If I reduce the size and then try to reattach, what size should i reduce it to???I really don't have a clue with these things. Is there a maximum size a file has to be in order for you to be able to attach it???? Oh I hope someone answers this as I am up the walls here....I have a few photos to attach. I really don't want to be here all day doing this..... :wv :wv :wv :o0
mrdvd Posts: 649
I'm not a girl (so forgive the intrusion) A picture requires high resolution for printing but way less for appearing on a computer screen. Your 3.5 mg picture is probably 4-5 times bigger than required for the website you need. So I'd take it down by that amount. The lower resolution should still look good on a screen. The format is also important, save it as a JPEG (there are many other formats such as TIFF that are not intended for the screen). This might be why you are getting the 'file invalid' alert. The above represent general guidelines as each website may have different requirements from each other. They often will have a little note hidden somewhere about upload specs. The suppliers here and the WOLS can be a bit more specific if you mention the site's name. Happy selling Martin
Hi Martin....No intrusion whatsoever....I will try and reduce the file size now to about .7mb...? I really don't have a clue here.... :-8 :o0 :o0 :o0 Anyway thanks ever so much for the speedy reply....It REALLY is much appreciated seeing as I have been trying this since yesterday afternoon.... O:| hahhahahahaha :wv :wv
Hi Martin AGAIN!!! :-8 the file is a JPEG file alright but I am just wondering how do I reduce the file???? I am so sorry for the questions...Please ignore me if you like...I won't mind..... :o0 :wv
ott Posts: 3920
If you're uploading a photo and it's too big (over 250KB as far as I can remember) you get a message to say this. If the file is invalid it must be something else that's wrong... Haven't a clue what though if it is a JPEG.
mrdvd Posts: 649
Ah how to reduce the pic size.... How long is a piece of string? What software are you using? Is it a PC or a Mac? Some software contains an export setting under the menu - it could read as 'export to web' or 'save as' with a widow giving you options for reducing file size or a web size command. It could be that the software you are using does not have any of these options.. in which case, the software is useless for this purpose. There may be other picture software on your machine though that does do this. For example, you might have a picture viewer application that could be used instead. Don't worry- we're getting there Martin
[quote="weddingdvds":1sigijay]Ah how to reduce the pic size.... How long is a piece of string? What software are you using? Is it a PC or a Mac? Some software contains an export setting under the menu - it could read as 'export to web' or 'save as' with a widow giving you options for reducing file size or a web size command. It could be that the software you are using does not have any of these options.. in which case, the software is useless for this purpose. There may be other picture software on your machine though that does do this. For example, you might have a picture viewer application that could be used instead. Don't worry- we're getting there Martin[/quote:1sigijay] Martin, thanks a million for your help!!! I finally managed to edit the size of each photo through Microsoft Office Picture Manager.....Your a star. Fingers crossed now that I sell it!!! Your not interested in a buggy by any chance are you??? :o0 :o0 :o0