When are you taking Maternity Leave?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daff Posts: 11644
Hi Girls, Just wondering how soon before your EDD are you starting maternity leave? By my LMP my EDD is 2nd Feb, but two scans showed either 5th or 9th Feb. My Dates put me at 5th, so going with that. Work are easy and said to take it when I want, so just wondering how soon before are you all taking yours? Thanks for your replies.
MrsMcM Posts: 311
as far as i know, certainly from my work place most women finish up about 2 weeks before due date. Personally i think i'll be doing this too.
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
I'm only finishing this week ... and take it from me, it was a mistake. You really do need two weeks before your due date. I was feeling grand all the way through my pregnancy, but the past few weeks the exhaustion is just chronic. I really know that I made a mistake not taking longer off before my due date. :o(
mrsodo Posts: 1292
From what I heard, you're meant to finish up 2 weeks before the EDD in order to claim statutory maternity pay - a friend in work told me that you won't receive statutory mat pay if you leave it any later (not sure if true or not). I plan to finish up at that point anyhow, 2 weeks before EDD.
MrsB2007 Posts: 519
Hey there, I'm finishing up two weeks before as well. By law you have to finish 14 days before your estimated due date (that's including weekends) so two weeks. Hoping I'll be ok up to that point although I'm planning some 4 day weeks on and off up until then to keep me sane :o0
Daff Posts: 11644
hopingforsoon, is it really tiring at the end? Hard enough getting through the first few weeks and the tiredeness. Just worried that I'll regret taking the extra week when I could be spending it with babs after. Asking now as trying to decide how many hols to save and might use them instead to finish up a few days earlier. Just don't want to take it too early and then go two weeks over or something like that! I know legally you're meant to finish two weeks before, but my dates vary so much, work are willing to go with what I want. Don't want to finish up mid Jan if baby doesn't arrive til mid Feb
[quote="jujubeans":38cuphq6]From what I heard, you're meant to finish up 2 weeks before the EDD in order to claim statutory maternity pay - a friend in work told me that you won't receive statutory mat pay if you leave it any later (not sure if true or not). I plan to finish up at that point anyhow, 2 weeks before EDD.[/quote:38cuphq6] On the MB10 form, your doctor fills out your EDD ... if you want to work up right till the end, you could ask your doctor to push it out by a few days. You are meant to finish up work two weeks before the end of the week that you are due. Which means - if you are due on Monday 10th, the Friday of that week would be Friday 15th. Therefore, the lastest you are supposed to work is Friday 1st (two weeks prior). Hope I'm making sense with this? That's why I'm working up until 10 days prior to my due date - which, like I said, I know now was a big mistake. Take a bit more time if you can, you'll need it.
[quote="daffodil bride":37c4b0yi]hopingforsoon, is it really tiring at the end? Hard enough getting through the first few weeks and the tiredeness. Just worried that I'll regret taking the extra week when I could be spending it with babs after. Asking now as trying to decide how many hols to save and might use them instead to finish up a few days earlier. Just don't want to take it too early and then go two weeks over or something like that! I know legally you're meant to finish two weeks before, but my dates vary so much, work are willing to go with what I want. Don't want to finish up mid Jan if baby doesn't arrive til mid Feb[/quote:37c4b0yi] It's not the same tiredness as the start, definitely not. But it's just exhaustion of a long nine months, everything is so much more of an effort - walking, getting up from bed, getting up from sitting, bending etc. I'm just at the point that I am just fed up and exhausted. It really takes it out of me getting up every morning to get into work on time. I was the of the same thoughts though - what if I go ten days over, I'll want that time with the baby at the other end, but now I realise that I need the rest too before the baby arrives, so I'll know better on the next one please god.
trouble2 Posts: 224
oh
Inlove10 Posts: 806
I've given my official notice of 2 weeks before EDD. But I have a few holidays so will at the very least finish up 2 1/2 weeks before. I'm going to keep any open mind though and see how it goes as every one is different and alot of people get very tired towards the end