Which has the higher status - Bridesmaid or Maid of Honour

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bumbles1 Posts: 3
Hi everyone I am in somewhat of a predicament. My fiance and I are getting married in September next year. I asked my sister to be my chief bridesmaid and my two best friends to be my bridesmaids. One of my bridesmaids has anonounced recently that she is getting married abroad in June next year. My sister has to be my chief bridesmaid so I was wondering, would a maid of honour be seen as higher in rank to a chief bridesmaid. Please help Regards Claire
Bunnybaby Posts: 2701
Hi bumbles, as far as i know you only call chief bridesmaid or matron of honour to whomever is meant to be your number 1 bridesmaid so this would be your sister, so you leave her as chief and just call the others bridesmaids even if they are married thats as far as i know my sis is chief bridesmaid and is married but wants to be called chief as she thinks matron of honour is too "OLD" sounding so she is beign called cheif but in your case i would leave the other girls titles just as bridesmaids
ela28 Posts: 2552
[quote="Bumbles1":18d0l3ri]Hi everyone I am in somewhat of a predicament. My fiance and I are getting married in September next year. I asked my sister to be my chief bridesmaid and my two best friends to be my bridesmaids. One of my bridesmaids has anonounced recently that she is getting married abroad in June next year. My sister has to be my chief bridesmaid so I was wondering, would a maid of honour be seen as higher in rank to a chief bridesmaid. Please help Regards Claire[/quote:18d0l3ri] edited to say that a maid of honor is used for a chief bm that is not married,neither has a higher rank,just looked it up on the comp hth :wv
mrsandmr Posts: 366
A maid of honour is an unmarried chief bridesmaid, a matron of honour is a married chief bridesmaid. So your married friend is just a bridesmaid, you sister or chief bridesmaid is your maid of honour. btw I think there is some traditional thing that says a married bm should be your chief but thats not the case anymore.
tilsun Posts: 4506
Many of my friends were bridesmaids after they had already married. I really don't think it bothers people
Bumbles1 Posts: 3
Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel better now cos I thought I would have to get rid of my friend who is going to be married before me. :wv