12yr old & Suicide??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hipbaby Posts: 4530
Girls i am in shock my sis just rang me to say a girl in her DD's school committed suicide yesterday, she is only 12???! What the hell happened to a little 12 year old to make her do something so drastic..its shocking My niece is now asking lots of questions and she is only 7, how do you explain it to a 7year old?? www.hipbaby.ie
frillynickers Posts: 1765
Oh my god thats awful but I have heard of it before, there about 8 years ago there was a spate of very you teens and 11-12 yrs who commited suicide within a few short months of each other i believe they all knew each other too. She needs to explain to dd what it means and to make sure that she undertand that it is not the right thing to do and she should always talk about her feelings even if shes embarrassed.
frillynickers Posts: 1765
Oh my god thats awful but I have heard of it before, there about 8 years ago there was a spate of very you teens and 11-12 yrs who commited suicide within a few short months of each other i believe they all knew each other too. She needs to explain to dd what it means and to make sure that she undertand that it is not the right thing to do and she should always talk about her feelings even if shes embarrassed. Edit: I hope the school provide some kind of counselling, or group session to explain whats happened etc
funkychunky Posts: 205
i don't want to say too much for fear of being known, but about a year ago, a 12 year old i know hung himself, they think he did it for attention but went too far. something about not being allowed do something. there was marks where he tried to free himself. obviously this kid didn't understand or realise the seriousness of suicide and it should be explained to kids in school or whatever. its unbearable to think about i think you have to be as honest as you possibly can with kids about it
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
OMG thats so sad, I really think its a cry for help gone too far, Could you only imagine what must have been going through the little ones head :o(
honeypot2010 Posts: 1500
OMG... You'd nearly expect it to be happpening to people crippled with financial pressure but holy god- what has gone on with a 12yr old? It happened in a nearby town to me two yrs ago, and it wrecked parents heads for so long, because of all the "news" down the country, two youngsters within weeks.... All i can say is, the kids now at primary school are all growing up far too fast. My little brother is looking for a mobile at 10, and my niece-to-be has one since 7, was a "communion gift" :eek I'm so against this as it can cause all sorts of bullying that isn't noticed unless parents keep checking the phone. Hope you sister figures out a way to explain, thats gonna be a tough one. :thnk
hipbaby Posts: 4530
[quote="funkychunky":1ahw4fvw] i think you have to be as honest as you possibly can with kids about it[/quote:1ahw4fvw] I totally agree with you and was saying that to my sis. I was telling her to say that she should always talk to her and her DH eabout any worries etc etc..and to explaing this girl had a lot of probs etc.. But I don't think anyone knows why she did it, all sorts of rumours but nothing concrete..its just horrendous. There are counsillors at the school today can't remember the term my sis used but they are specially trained in this sort of thing. My niece is only 7 and in 2nd class and this is the 3rd pupil to die in her school since she has been there?!?! its not a huge school i don't remember anyone dying when I was in primary, and only 1 when I was in secondary.. :o( its just awful..
Momof2 Posts: 3884
Hi Hip baby Its probably a bereavment counsellor we had this in work when it happened years ago. Can't imagine how you would explain it with a child but maybe if your sis went with her daughter to the counsellor the counsellor may be able to give your sister age appropriate explanation about what happened. Tragic I have to say that this is what goes on but unfortunatly I think everyone has been touched by these types of tragedies now Hope she is ok Audrey Also was thinking the AWARE website might have some guidance about what they can say to children
YoungsWIfe Posts: 738
OMG girls these stories are just so sad and upsetting. What must be going through these childrens minds for them to do something like this to themseleves and their poor parents I cant even begin to imagine how they must be feeling. I definately think its always important to talk to your child and let them know they can talk to you about anything and everything cos its so important for them to feel they have someone they can turn to when they are going through rough times. My little boy is only 5 but I always question him about school and how he gets on with the other lads cos you'd be worried they would be picked on or something. Its a cruel cruel world.
emma1980 Posts: 2219
hipbaby, i guy i work near was tellin me about this today. Its his wifes cousins daughter {hope thats right} My heart nearly broke when i heard, i have an 11 year old daughter and the thoughts of it sent shivers down my spine. Wont go into the details of how and where, but it is very very sad and tragic