Am I the only only that is seriously scared of childbirth?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

JuliaItaly Posts: 922
I am not TTC yet but it is in the pipe line and I have been reading some of the threads on here. God ladies, ye are all so brave when it comes to childbirth and labour, honestly, I admire ye so much. I am so terrified to the point that I honestly feel that I will not be able to give birth naturally should I be blessed with a baby. I know ye might think I'm being dramatic but I really can't ever see it happening that way for me. Does anyone share that feeling? :thnk
Yoda Posts: 3340
I am sure everyone was scared but with the right information you will be fine, you will be helped by your GP, family and friends and of course the midwives and consultants etc... Don't let the fear of child birth put you off, it is different for every one
squeeb Posts: 112
No your not the only one Julia.I am petrified after reading some of the stories on here.I am in the same boat as you and going to start trying in September!
babybuttons Posts: 886
no you are not alone. before i got pregnant i always thought "how will i manage that" and now im pregnant im still thinking "dear god how will i cope" so i chose to try not think about it. a nd sure doesnt a stork come along at night and put the baby in the crib beside you :o0 but hopefully (and i know deep down it will be ok) that when the times comes it (childbirth) will come naturally and i wont freak out and panic
Emme Posts: 4735
Hi JuliaItaly, I really don't mean to sound patronising but from personal experience I don't know if you can really tell how you'll feel about it until you're actually Pg. I suppose it's a bit like breastfeeding, a lot of women can't imagine doing it until their babs are put into their arms and away they go and they can't remember a time not wanting to do it. No matter what, it'll all be over in a matter of hours! :wv
JuliaItaly Posts: 922
I know what you mean Emme and it's a fair point but I have awful trouble even giving blood. I have a genuine fear of needles, loss of control that isn't explainable, I'm starting to think it's a phobia. The last time the doctor attempted to take blood from me, I curled in a ball and started shaking. Thank god I've never been sick and had to endure any treatment or needles. I try and keep thinking that when it happens something will snap in me that will tell me to cop on but I honestly think I will be having an elective caesarean. :o(
the winner Posts: 4148
NO I'm terrified too and I have a 6yr old.. But when you have a bundle of joy in your arms it makes it worth while:D :thnk
Emme Posts: 4735
Ah you poor thing, well look, I have yet to see a woman with a big award and a ticker tape parade for going through labour so if an elective ceaserian is the only way you feel you can give birth then why not. Do what you're comfortable with and in the meantime don't be worrying about it because you don't know how things will turn out. Although, I believe there are needles involved with them as well!
Yoda Posts: 3340
[quote="JuliaItaly":3m8odfx8]I know what you mean Emme and it's a fair point but I have awful trouble even giving blood. I have a genuine fear of needles, loss of control that isn't explainable, I'm starting to think it's a phobia. The last time the doctor attempted to take blood from me, I curled in a ball and started shaking. Thank god I've never been sick and had to endure any treatment or needles. I try and keep thinking that when it happens something will snap in me that will tell me to cop on but I honestly think I will be having an elective caesarean. :o([/quote:3m8odfx8] Believe me there are pro and cons in elective caesarean too, the best thing to do like Emme said is wait and see how you feel when please God you get your BFP, stop reading the birth stories or read mine, it is not that bad :o0 Best of luck, and try and keep an open mind Also the best thing to do re giving blood is explain to the nurse/GP your fear
sparklybabe Posts: 3353
sorry julia but i dont understand your logic you say you are terrified of needles loss of control etc and then in the same breath you scan you will be having an elective section. i think this is a huge misconception aboung women that they will be in control if they have a section tbh you have a lot less control if you are sectioned and as for medical interferance treatment etc you have a lot more of it! my advice get pregnant first worry about it after!