Anyone ever given food to a homeless person?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
Yeah I do, I actually prefer to give food rather than money. A lot of the homeless charities warn against giving money. However I avoid any bad reactions by saying it to them first - ie, I'm going to O Briens, want a coffee?
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
I haven't actually but I would give money usually. My gran would have always bought a sticky bun or some tea if she saw a homeless person. I don't know why I didn't do that myself actually. I'm not out and about so much nowadays and there doesn't seem to be any homeless folk around Sligo that I've noticed.
R2theB Posts: 1660
My mum used to buy a sandwich for a guy that begged near her work on a frequent basis and he always appreciated it, but like Girl From Mars said, she would usually ask first. Think it's a nice thing to do but have heard of it being taken quite badly. I do give money the odd time, couple used to sleep outside the Gaeity and always felt bad for them so would give them a fiver every now and then. On a sort of related note, a girl came up to me once in town giving me a big long story about how she needed money for Tampax, crying and everything, so I offered her a small box of Lillets that I happened to have in my bag. Well I got called every name under the sun before she stormed off sans tampons.... she must have really been in the horrors!
nelswife Posts: 3869
Yes, a few times, one time I was getting petrol at a Petrol station and i guy outside was begging for money, i told him out straight that i wouldnt give him money but i would buy him some food if he wanted. He was thrilled i offered to buy him some food, I told him to come into the garage and pick sandwich, hot drink and a bar of chocolate and i would pay for it. He was delighted with it. I have also done it in town before, bought a homeless person a hot soup and sandwich and likewise he was delighted with it. A friend of mine, did this once and swore she would never do it again, a guy was begging at a bank machine so she went to eddie rocket and bought him a burger, chips and milkshake, went back over and gave it to him and he cursed her and called her all sorts of names, telling her he didnt want food he was asking for money!..she more or less threw it at him and told him to do want he wanted with it, she did say she was tempted to take it off him and throw it staight in the bin, but she had spend so much money on it as Eddie Rockets is expensive she decided not to
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
No beggars locally thankfully. I used to pass the same homeless man nearly every day on my way to work in Dublin. Used to give him a packet of fags and a coffee every Friday (pay day) morning. He had a really, really sad life story. He 'had it all' and lost it because of his alcoholism. He was so well spoken, very up to date with current affairs. I often think about him and wonder how he's doing. I hope he's ok.
McLisa Posts: 1815
I've considered this many times but I dunno what it is I get really embarrassed, I'd hate to think someone thought I was better than them or looking down on them and I feel incredibly guilty that I've been fortunate in life. Where I used to work I would see this old man few days a week just sitting at bus stop all wrapped up with a pull alone case. He wasn't begging, wasn't drunk just sat there in the cold looking very sad. One of guys in work said he saw him coming out of homeless shelter in mornings where they kick them out and have nowhere to go until night time. It actually broke my heart seeing him and I felt so guilty going back to my warm safe house. I've moved jobs since but it always sticks with me that I never spoke to him or offered food or anything. Now I'm feeling guilty that I've just gone and spent alot of money on food to treat myself because H2B is away on a stag when some people don't even have a roof over their heads in weather like that :o(
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
I would be cautious about this but I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it without asking, and I'm not surprised that many who have done so got a bad reaction. After all, if someone's looking for money and you decide to buy them food, the message you are kind of giving them is "You are telling me what you need, but I know better what you need so I will give you something different. You want money but I don't trust that you will spend it in a way that I approve of, so I will make the decision and buy something for you. You have given no indication that you are hungry or have difficulty getting food, and I never asked, but I'm just going to go ahead and get you food because that would make me feel like a good person." Soup or a coffee when it's cold might be a bit different, but a sandwich or a burger is a bit weird I reckon.
kittycatt24 Posts: 1322
Yup when I was young a traveller woman wud beg with her kids in tow and I remember my mum giving her a bag of groceries a few times.
Rosewater Posts: 372
There are no homeless people in my town thankfully. I am a doglover and hate to see dogs in need, I have often bought cans of dog food and bottles of water in shops and then approached the people in a respectful way and asked if their dog was hungry. I'd usually chat for a minute or two if they were happy to and I'd give them some money too. Some of their stories are heartbreaking.
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
[quote="Rosewater":13n9z686]There are no homeless people in my town thankfully. I am a doglover and hate to see dogs in need, I have often bought cans of dog food and bottles of water in shops and then approached the people in a respectful way and asked if their dog was hungry. I'd usually chat for a minute or two if they were happy to and I'd give them some money too. Some of their stories are heartbreaking.[/quote:13n9z686] As in, if a homeless person has a dog with them?? [quote="whoop whoop":13n9z686]I would be cautious about this but I DEFINITELY wouldn't do it without asking, and I'm not surprised that many who have done so got a bad reaction. After all, if someone's looking for money and you decide to buy them food, the message you are kind of giving them is "You are telling me what you need, but I know better what you need so I will give you something different. You want money but I don't trust that you will spend it in a way that I approve of, so I will make the decision and buy something for you. You have given no indication that you are hungry or have difficulty getting food, and I never asked, but I'm just going to go ahead and get you food because that would make me feel like a good person." Soup or a coffee when it's cold might be a bit different, but a sandwich or a burger is a bit weird I reckon.[/quote:13n9z686] No homeless around my neck of the woods, but I would agree with Whoop Whoop.