Anyone used Iron Supplements? Possibly TMI...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
I've been put on iron supplements by my doctor but the pharmacist warned me that they can cause constipation. At the best of times my bowels are crap (see what I did there!) so I'd really like to avoid things getting worse. Is there any way to avoid the constipation element of things?
mammymcphee Posts: 4477
Make sure you drink plenty of water. It will help with any constipation. I also found the Activia prune yoghurts very good, and used to eat one a day when taking Iron supplements, The prunes don't taste bad at all in the yoghurts :wv
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
As far as I know, taking iron with a glass of orange juice helps to absorb more iron. Luckily orange juice should make your bowels more regular, so the juice might cancel out the side affect of the constipation? Worth a try. If it's really bad, ask your pharmacist for some Senokat or something, even once a week to give you some relief. Also, drink loads. I was on iron before but it made me a bit sick in my tummy. So take the tab with food. I probably need iron again (medical condition I'm regularly borderline anaemic) as I'm stuck to the duvet in themorning no matter how much sleep I get and am a bit dizzy as well. Must get some, you've reminded me, thanks!!
Tir na nog Posts: 740
The best thing to take to ensure regular bowel movements is Aloe vera juice you can buy it in most pharmacies and it should be in all health food shops. Take in in water with a dash of mi wadi or orange juice in the morning and again in the evening, cannot recommend it enough. Also make sure your drinking 1.5-2 litres of water per day. Make sure you are not on iron supplements for too long as it can be toxic on the liver the increase levels of iron, so be aware of this. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info ladies. I am rubbish when it comes to drinking water but I'll give it a go alongside the orange juice and the activia. Must try the Aloe Vera too when I have a bit more money on me. I'm always amazed (in a weird way) when people say they're really regular and go at 11am every day or something like that!
disney08 Posts: 575
I was always told to only take them for 3 weeks on and then one week off (like the Pill) as otherwise it would make yr period heavier. Not sure if that's true or not though.
mrswifey2012 Posts: 2042
[quote="Girl From Mars":1cnlx230]I'm always amazed (in a weird way) when people say they're really regular and go at 11am every day or something like that![/quote:1cnlx230] Oh if only!!
boodlesdoodles Posts: 900
Im not on iron, yet, hopefully i wont need it, cos last time it made me so constipated and i ended up with dreadful piles which never went away. But my current craving for clementines/mandarin oranges, is keeping everything moving swiftly at the moment, maybe a bit too swiftly.....need to cut back on the oranges! :-8 Im eating about 3 or 4 a day, and while im not going as regularly as i used to pre-pregnancy, when i do its easy, iykwim. ;o)
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
Prune juice will have you moving along nicely by the next day and I personally think its lovely ! Oh and beware of the black "movements" from the Iron !!!
[quote="YoMammaSo":144fbztx]Prune juice will have you moving along nicely by the next day and I personally think its lovely ! Oh and beware of the black "movements" from the Iron !!![/quote:144fbztx] Beware as in 'they're bad- see the doc' or 'don't have a heart attack sitting on the can, it's just what iron does to you'?