Are you making your own flower arrangements?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blissful2b Posts: 1555
just thought i'd ask hom many of you intend to do your own flowers? i've come across a 10 week course in my local area for bridal floristry so thinking of doing it. Am i mad to do my own??
Shinney Posts: 266
any chance you could tell me where the course is, not getting married for 2 years but its something id love to do for my wedding. thanks
tizzy Posts: 168
im considering doing it to save money alright, im not sure paying for a course would save money, depends how many arrangements you wanted to do, was just thinking of getting out books from the library on it, but then again im not too bothered about flowers, will go to the market and pick whatever is in season and myself and my mum will put them together the day before. if it all goes wrong it doesnt bother me...
it's in clane. if you do a search you'll find a few day courses in dublin. this one is an evening course. 190 quid though. but you could start doing them for friends etc if you were any good! €190 for 10 weeks. Intensive Course covering aspects of bouquet design and Method, Floral Accessories, ie. Buttonholes, Corsage, Cake top, Head-Dress etc.
[quote="tizzy":3qdb55et]im considering doing it to save money alright, im not sure paying for a course would save money, depends how many arrangements you wanted to do, was just thinking of getting out books from the library on it, but then again im not too bothered about flowers, will go to the market and pick whatever is in season and myself and my mum will put them together the day before. if it all goes wrong it doesnt bother me...[/quote:3qdb55et] do a search for bridal floristry on youtube.com. lots of videos on how to do it. i just wouldn't mind having someone there actually showing me !:-)
Bunnybaby Posts: 2701
i think it would be waay to much to do on your own and probly come that time near the wedding you will have soo much more going on that flowers will be the last thing you will want to start doing ...imo :wv
hoodieboodie Posts: 1200
We're (well more my mother and her best friend) are doing all of the flowers except the bouquets. Being a winter wedding there will be lots of holly and ivy and we've being drying hydrangeas and other bulky flowers for the past few months. We did them for my sisters wedding so we had a test run.
outdoorgirl Posts: 610
I hope to do as much as possible. I will probably get my bouquet from a florist though as well as for the BM. I've a friend who can help too. I've heard some of the evening courses don't focus enough on flowers suitable for a wedding so I'd make sure before committing to a time consuming course. Although it could be a lovely way to relax
mrsdamcl Posts: 155
Hi im doing my own flowers with the help of a few SIL's and Bm's. It cant be that hard and my mother is really good at it. Im buying my flowers from a whole saler in holland(the company have irish reps). My wedding is july 09 and im buying candles and oasis nearly every weekend in Dunnes for the arrangements, just to spread the expense.
outdoorgirl Posts: 610
Mrs damcl, do you mind me asking what plans you have for the candles? I'm JUly 09 too, but you seem far more on top of things! I've heard about that dutch website it takes the hassle out of purchasing the flowers.