Baby products

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

marla Posts: 191
I know this has been a thread before but can't seem to find it anywhere Just wondering what baby products you use? I've read that J&J etc... can be too harsh for babs. Can you buy gentler products? If so where? Thanks a mill
under construction Posts: 3458
Oh i never heard that before - i think J&J do a Natural range now anyone heard if that is any better?
Trish07 Posts: 506
My little fella had mild exczema and J+J used to make him go red. I used oilatum for the bath and elave for his hair but they are more expensive. I also use infacare every now and then and that dosent bother his skin but he dosent like the bubbles after having a year with no bubbles in the bath
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
[quote="Trish07":1jnrlrd9]My little fella had mild exczema and J+J used to make him go red. I used oilatum for the bath and elave for his hair but they are more expensive. I also use infacare every now and then and that dosent bother his skin but he dosent like the bubbles after having a year with no bubbles in the bath[/quote:1jnrlrd9] Girls i nearly had a panic attack in Boots over this at the weekend. We decided to get the babys bath stuff. I was about to get J&J when i remembered reading somewhere it can be harsh. There was so much choice. In the end i got the Oilatum (E45) bath milk, it was like 2 products in the bottle and you have to shake it to mix it. I did see the Infacare but didnt know if it was good. I figured i couldnt go wrong with E45 stuff.
marla Posts: 191
Hey Snap Notlongtogo! You're my due date twin! How are you feeling? I just had a look on the E45 website and they say their Junior range os for 4 to 10 yr olds! Not sure if that means it's not suitable for babies. I've no idea what to get, wish there was only one brand of everything, would make shopping far easier! Took me over an hour to buy nappies and bottles last week, couldn't decide which ones were the best!! Maybe it's my brain on go slow!
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
[quote="marla":1540nylo]Hey Snap Notlongtogo! You're my due date twin! How are you feeling? I just had a look on the E45 website and they say their Junior range os for 4 to 10 yr olds! Not sure if that means it's not suitable for babies. I've no idea what to get, wish there was only one brand of everything, would make shopping far easier! Took me over an hour to buy nappies and bottles last week, couldn't decide which ones were the best!! Maybe it's my brain on go slow![/quote:1540nylo] Hey thats right, can you believe it only 81 days to go. :o)ll I know what you mean about the choice, i was panicking in Boots and it was only a wash i was looking for. Dh said God help me when it comes to choosing her school !!! I think maybe ill try the Infacare then. On one hand i dont want anything harsh but on the other i dont want to use all sensitive stuff and her skin never gets hardy - iykwim.
tras Posts: 1460
A friend of mine uses Burt's bees- it seems lovely.
fancypants Posts: 453
Hi to be honest girls, I wouldn't be worrying about this - I was advised by midwives and PHV to just use plain water when bathing a newborn - their skin is literally like tissue and they really don't need products at the start. I now use J&J's top to toe wash on my DD (who is 7months) and that seems fine. I tried bedtime bath, in the hopes of lulling her off to sleep!! but that seemed a bit too harsh on her skin ( made it feel bumpy and a bit rough). I do use E45 cream sometimes on her skin after her bath - maybe once a week. and that is suitable for babies according to the tub. When she was tiny though just water and once are twice I added a drop of olive oil if her skin was dry or just rubbed it in directly to dry spots - her feet I remember...
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
Hi Ladies, I am almost your twin as well - just a day ahead of you both. This whole thing is a minefield isn't it. Can I ask if all of you are buying an actual baby bath? We are thinking of not getting one and just bathing him in the big bath from the very start. Any opinions? We have also been told not to use anything at the very start on him and then to start introducing things slowly. We plan to use Dr Klines (I think that is how it is spelled) it is expensive but, a little apparently goes a long way with all the products and they are all natural. FP
Me Julia Posts: 1352
Hi it was me who was saying i would not use Johnsons. I was glad to see the programme how toxic is your skincare totally backed up what i was saying the other day. It has reinforced to me even more there is no way i will use that on the baby. They are exposed to enough chemicals every day without using more on their skins. Dont be fooled by the natural term- this means nothing, they can put a tiny amount ( 2%) of natural ingredient in a product and then fill it up with petro chemicals, buffers, propylene glycol ( which is in anti freeze) and they can still get away with using the word natural!! I dont think this is something that we should not be concerned about. I have looked at burts bees, this looks pretty good, also the angel baby skincare, GAIA, there are a couple more out there as well which look good. Basically look at the back of the bottle, if there are really long words on the ingredient listing that you dont recognise then they are chemical ingredients............dont use washes with SODIUM LAURETH SULPHATE in them, or products with PARABENS. The parabens are normally at the bottom of the ingredient listing. Stay away from propylene glycol, limonene ( which is used in flea control products) Oh there are many more, but i better stop now....... Actually i think channel 4 were putting up a website after that progamme was on............something like i think.