baby's head measuring 3 weeks ahead of date

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
Trying not to be too concerned and midwife said it could be just that she wasn't getting a great picture on the scan (she did the measure 3 times) but baby's head is measuring 31+ weeks but according to all other measures I'm 28 +2 which is about right. She wasn't too concerned but did ask if I had been a big baby myself :eek I'm 5 foot 2 and very petite so I don't think so. My consultant is away so maybe he would have gotten a more accurate result? My placenta is still low as well. :o( I've had a bad day today. Feel very emotional and like it's all too much. Eating mini battenburgs and jammy dodgers now to cheer myself up :-8
Hepburn Posts: 4081
My thinking on this would be if it was anything to really worry about they wouldn't have let you leave the hospital. My little boy measured ahead for a whilde and then evened out again. You are doing great!
sinion Posts: 6050
Sorry to hear you're not feeling great, I really have no idea about dating/size scans and such but I'm sure they wouldn't have sent you home with no more advice if there was anything wrong.
I don't think she was concerned over the baby which is good but I'm selfishly thinking how will I get it out?! :-8 Maybe it's a growth spurt as I've definitely gotten bigger in the past week and look properly pregnant now whereas before I could almost hide it depending on what I wore. thanks for the replies. Going to bed now and hoping sleep will make me feel a lot better :wv
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Ah sunnyside, try not to worry. I know, easier said than done!! Like the girls have said, if she was worried she wouldn't have just let you off like that. As for getting it out, don't be worrying, you'd be surprised what your body can do. I'm just about 5ft and DD always measured ahead on scans. She weighed just over 9lbs at birth and I managed, so you'll be fine. You'll probably see that at your next scan, the measurements will even out more! *)
thanks Jellybaby (you were up late!!) I dreamt last night that I had a really big baby and every time I put it in the pram it sat up by itself and reached for a dummy :o0 !! shows how my mind is working. It's great to be able to log on here and say the daftest things and know that someone else has probably been through it too. thanks girls :wv
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Hey Sunnyside, have a read of blossimhill's birth story.....
mamabelle Posts: 1101
3 weeks ago babs head was measuring 3 weeks ahead of schedule and abdomen just under 2 weeks ahead. But this week both head and abdomen are looking nearly 4 weeks ahead of schedule!! I'm glad head and abdomen match - but 4 weeks ahead with only 7 weeks to go - aagghh. 3 weeks ago the consultant said that some babies just spurt early and then it evens out as the girls said. This week he was hinting that I'd probably go a bit early.
mummytime Posts: 3149
sunny - i would take your cue from the midwife. If she's not worried then you shouldn't be either. everything i've read about those measurements suggest that they are not all that accurate. when is your next app? try not to worry about the labour. if we can cope you pregnancy for 9 monthsand all the aches and pains that go with it, then we can cope with a few hours /days of labour. Hope you are feeling a bit better now. Pregnancy is such a rollercoaster. It can all be very overwhelming at times. mc
Have an appointment with consultant in 2 weeks so I'm sure he'll tell me more then. Am a bit calmer about it all now. I think it made the reality of actually giving birth a bit more real and a bit closer. I'm going back now to burying my head in the sand and going with the flow. :wv