Bath during Pregnancy?????????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

soulful Posts: 1697
Hi girls Am usually on the July2010 thread. I am currently 10 weeks pregnant with my second child. I have been bleeding for 5 and a half weeks straight and have had 2 scans and baby is fine the doctor has said. I have another scan on the 11th January. I am getting morning sickness and that coupled with the blood I have been losing I am feeling quite weak and find standing up in the shower difficult, I get light-headed. I really want to have a warm bath. I had one at the start but my sister in law said you are not meant to when pregnant. Am wondering does anyone know if this is true?????? I would give anything for a warm bath. O:o)
lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi there, You can definitely have a warm bath just not a steaming hot one!!! I used to love taking really hot baths but now I just bought a baby bath thermometer and I use that to make sure my bath water is ok. Experts say a warm bath is ok as long as it is 100 degrees F (that's 37.8 degrees Celsius) or cooler. That will still give you a nice warm bath. Avoid hot tubs, saunas and steam rooms though as they are too hot. Here's some info from a good article about it that I found online - hope it helps and enjoy your pregnancy!!! :wv :wv :wv :wv [b:oh5un2c2]Is it Safe to Take a Hot Bath While Pregnant?[/b:oh5un2c2] Many women find that there's nothing quite as relaxing as a hot bath, especially during pregnancy. In most cases, baths are safe throughout pregnancy, as long as women take care not to make them too hot or stay in too long. Since pregnancy can also significantly affect balance, pregnant women also need to be particularly careful not to fall when getting in and out of the tub. Types Most health care experts allow pregnant women to take tub baths throughout pregnancy, as long as the water is no hotter than 100 degrees F. However, many experts recommend avoiding hot tubs and saunas, since these types of hot baths are often hotter than home tubs. Some health care providers permit patients to sit in hot tubs for short periods during the second and third trimester, as long as the water is no hotter than 90 degrees F. Time Frame In general, women must be particularly careful about hot baths during the first two months of pregnancy, since the baby is undergoing critical development that is especially sensitive to overheating. Pregnant women should stay in a hot bath no longer than they feel comfortable, and get out of the tub or reduce the temperature as soon as they begin to feel themselves overheating, or notice their skin turning pink. Health care providers who permit hot tub use during pregnancy often recommend staying in for no more than 5 to 10 minutes. Considerations If you're not sure what temperature your bath water is, you might want to consider purchasing a tub thermometer. This way, you can make sure the water is no hotter than 100 degrees F. Many baby stores sell bath thermometers that look like rubber duckies or other tub toys, and you can continue to use them after the baby is born to make sure her bath water isn't too hot or too cold. Benefits Hot tubs baths can relax muscles that often get sore during pregnancy, and help soothe back aches and leg cramps. Baths can be a much safer way to relieve such aches and pains while pregnant than taking over the counter drugs or painkillers. For some women, baths can be emotionally relaxing as well, as it gives them some quiet time alone. Reducing stress levels by taking a hot bath can also benefit the baby. Warning Baths that are too hot can cause your heart rate to increase and decrease blood flow to the baby. Since the baby has no way to prevent itself from overheating, such as sweating or getting out of the tub, baths that are too hot can damage the baby's cells. Check with your health care provider if you're not sure if tub baths are safe while you're pregnant, especially if you have complications such as bleeding or signs of preterm labor. Be particularly careful not to slip while getting in and out of the tub. http://www.ehow.com/about_4571583_safe- ... gnant.html
tilsun Posts: 4506
I take baths, as previous poster said, just no too hot. Also consider sitting down in the bath for a shower, it's a nice quick alternative and less chance of getting dizzy.
soulful Posts: 1697
Thank you girls that was very informative, I am going to have a bath tonight :xox