Budget – More Maternity leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
Anybody heard if we are due to get any more weeks off in this years budget???? And when does it normally start from???? Am trying to delay letting my job know when I am going on maternity leave in case we get an increase? I think the last time it was any time after March 1st…… :thnk
molls Posts: 149
I haven't heard any suggestions that there will be any change in maternity benefit and, as it was an election year, you can be sure that if it was planned, we'd know about it.
Idina Posts: 1289
As far as I know, even is there is an increase, it doesn't matter when you tell your employer it's when you start you maternity leave that matters. Like if there was an increase after march if you start you maternity leave after that you will get it. (hope that make sense!)
Bubba Bump Posts: 348
I heard a rumor that it's going to increase by 4 weeks :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
Thanks Girls, I am due to go on Maternity leave on the 25 of Feb but If I delay it by one week I’ll get the increase and my job are looking for dates now…. Think I’ll try and delay as I heard it’s suppose to be increased again this year (to bring us inline with the UK) and it’s normally from the 1st of March.
dovedro Posts: 1295
Looks like I'll miss out on it then, I'm due the 28th of feb so going on maternity leave on the 14th O:|
Elliecat Posts: 2725
[quote="Hopefully07":1elv222v]Thanks Girls, I am due to go on Maternity leave on the 25 of Feb but If I delay it by one week I’ll get the increase and my job are looking for dates now…. Think I’ll try and delay as I heard it’s suppose to be increased again this year (to bring us inline with the UK) and it’s normally from the 1st of March.[/quote:1elv222v] Are you sure they don't go by the due date of the baby rather than when you start maternity?? I know its the due date they use here in NI.
molls Posts: 149
definitely date you go on maternity leave here.
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
This is what happened this year: If you start maternity leave on or after 1 March 2007, you are entitled to 26 weeks’ maternity leave, together with 16 weeks’ additional unpaid maternity leave. If your maternity leave started before 1 March 2007 you are entitled to 22 weeks’ maternity leave. If you started the additional unpaid maternity leave before 1 March 2007 you are only entitled to take an additional 12 weeks’ unpaid maternity leave. Yikes i am due to start 22nd also. I suppose either way we'll know the plans next month. You only need to notify your employer 6 weeks before you intend to start, the date you are starting. See this website: Very handy. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... nity_leave
Thanks for that, I think I'll just tell them that I don't really know my due date yet and I have to wait for my scan on the 17th of December (budget out 6th of December) to let them know!! Hopefully we'll get another couple of weeks!