Can you drink in a hotel on good Friday ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
No looking for a row, or for a lecture. Just want to know, if you stay in a hotel, in the Republic on Good Friday will there be normal serving of alcohol in the bar ?
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
I would assume yes you can as they would have to cater for all guests Christian or not?
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Apparently you can so long as it is served with a meal. http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 92393.html
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="babydust2012":22qde5yf]I would assume yes you can as they would have to cater for all guests Christian or not?[/quote:22qde5yf] Well I am not a Christian and I cannot drink on Good Friday! It's not a Christian Ban it is a state ban. If that was the issue than only Christians would be banned from buying drink in pubs, supermarkets etc instead of everyone.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Yeah, I always thought you could. It's my wedding anniversary on Easter Saturday and my husband and I were goign to go away for a couple of nights to a hotel, starting Good Friday, thinking the hotels would be quiet (cheap) due to Good Friday. Neither of us drink so we didn't care about not having alcohol. But then we remembered it can be served in hotels so not going to go Good Friday now as the hotels will be packed and probably priced accordingly.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
It's crazy that this law still exists, when you think about it. Not that it bothers me that I can't buy drink on the day (I think we'd all be better off with a few alcohol-free days here and there), but having a state ban for religious reasons just seems ludicrous in this day and age.
YoMammaSo Posts: 3256
Anybody here working in a hotel that can clarify if its only with a meal ? ;o) Look up lidl breaks, prices havnt changed, were going away for exact same reason sk, but were not T total, and dont see ourselves sitting in an empty bar all night !
R2theB Posts: 1660
[quote="Flower Girl":3h0kbh5g]..having a state ban for religious reasons just seems ludicrous in this day and age.[/quote:3h0kbh5g] Hear hear! An absolutely ridiculous and archaic law.
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
As far as I know, if you're staying in the hotel, they can serve you and you're charged the next day. It's not that you can't drink on good Friday, it's that you can't purchase it in the republic, so the hotels get around it that way. I'll double check with himself and get back to you.... Yep you def can, as long as you're resident, they just run you a tab and you pay the next day or when you check out, the law prohibits sale, not consumption!
Rocksie80 Posts: 4045
I didn't think they could serve it unless you are a resident? So the normal public bar wouldn't be open. Yomammaso, why not ring the hotel you're thinking of going to?