Career Change - Help needed!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Calla Lilly Posts: 183
Hi Ladies, Currently in a career that I am very happy in but money really, really isn't great....I have come as far as I can in this career. I wondered does anyone know any career guidance people in the connacht area? I would be willing to travel but finding it difficult to locate....I have a number of careers in mind but need information about how to get into them etc.... Thanks
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
I don't know of anyone in the Connacht area - but if you post the career areas you are interested in someone here may be able to help you out.
Calla Lilly Posts: 183
Thanks Bonnie, intersted in Social Work, have a business studies degree so looking at teaching Business Studies, Home Economics as a teaching opt but feel that sligo is the only place to study that and I cannot do that and also Psychology.
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
Calla lily, good idea to go and see a career guidance counsellor, I went to see one a few years back and while I haven't yet done anything with it I know I'm leaning in the right direction with my plan to do something with photography. The person I went to was in Dublin though but I live in Sligo now myself. I've just done a websearch and one name for Connacht has come up: Catriona Ni Oiuicin, Colaiste Connacht, An Spideal, Co. Gallimhe, 091 553 124. I think she might be in a college in Galway but she may be able to put you in touch with a full time career guidance person. I got the name from http://www.careerguidance.ie/ Good luck!
Bonnie Parker Posts: 2670
[quote="Calla Lilly ":2ijif26x]Thanks Bonnie, intersted in Social Work, have a business studies degree so looking at teaching Business Studies, Home Economics as a teaching opt but feel that sligo is the only place to study that and I cannot do that and also Psychology.[/quote:2ijif26x] I'm no expert & I don't work in any of these areas. But from what I know; SW must be a fairly accessible profession as I know a number of people who went back to college to do this and have been successful in obtaining jobs in the area since - even in recent times. I would also imagine that there is probably a few different areas that you could work in within SW. For BS I'm fairly sure you would have to do a HDip. AFAIK Sligo is the only place for Home Ec teaching. St Catherines in Dublin used to do it but I don't think they do anymore. Besides the fact that it is Sligo, I'm not sure if there is a mature student entry route? Also it is a fairly specific qualification & it would be difficult to secure employment, especially in a location you want. Don't know much about psychology except that there may not be much employment in this area - without a lot of studying. Could be a long road.
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
PM sent.