Christmas Battles

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jawl Posts: 8881
I know it's only July, but I nearly fell off my seat this morning when I realised it was July 21st and that this year is almost 7 months old. We are closer to next Christmas than last Christmas :o0 Do you ever have any hassles about who to see on Christmas Day for lunch, or IL's that you HAVE TO SEE etc.?
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
We got married in May and have already agreed that this Christmas is with my family, next Christmas is his and after that we're going to do our own thing. We live in Dublin, I'm from the south east and he's from the midlands so there's no popping in to say hi on the day.
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
We HAVE to spend Christmas Eve with H2B's family, which I really don't like. Christmas Eve is the big event where FMIL is from and they have their big dinner that day but it always ends up with both FMIL and FFIL getting P*ssed drunk and FFIL will start an argument with his shadow if there are no other willing participants. I have managed to avoid it the last couple of years cos my sister was home but I doubt I'll manage this year. I dread it though - for me Christmas Eve was always about staying in and being all cosy, watching Christmassy movies and pigging out. Now it's about listening to drunk people argue and watching the clock to see if we've been there appropriately long enough before we can reasonably leave without FMIL giving out to us and whispering in FSD's ear that she can stay with her if she wants, knowing we have "Santa" set up at home.
RoseDawson Posts: 1494
oh just thinking of christmas already makes me wanna :o)ll We always drop in to OH parents on Christmas morning to say hi and then head out to my family at around 1pm for the rest of the day, then home to our own house that night. We are lucky that we live next door to OH family and only about 15/20 minutes from mine. We go to OH family for new years day dinner. Just thought, this will be our first christmas as a married couple, :hyper: Roll on Christams i say :o0 :o0
msbelle Posts: 726
Cant believe I will be married this Christmas! :o)ll Normally we have went our separtate ways and h2b came to my folks house in the evening. this year tho i think we will have dinner at my folks and back to his for the evening. not sure yet but cant wait to wake up on Christmas morning with my husband!!
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
We spent our 1st married Christmas with my family and he visited his that evening. It was actually our first Christmas together as usually we spent it separately with our own families. This Christmas I assumed he'd want to go to his parents but he's humming and hawing so we might just go away this year. I don't want to get the blame or for his parents to think it's me dragging him to my parents so it might be more diplomatic to go away. Eventually I'd liekt ohave it in our own house but I'll have to get a hell of a lot better at cooking.
happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
Last yr we went to my parents house (which i love) as it was our 1st year married, the compromise was that we would go to his Mother this year. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i agreed at the time hoping i would be able to get out of it closer to the time! as it turns out we are due our 1st baby on 31st Dec so i cant go anywhere. wohooo :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll my parents said they can come to us with dinner etc if it suits us better & im unable to cook etc. i woudlnt be surprised if hubbie still went to his controlling mother for Christmas. she lives 120 miles away & he's a Mammy's boy so baby or not baby he will go to her me thinks.
msbelle Posts: 726
If our home is finished at Christmas I'd love to have everyone to us but I dont know how to cook Christmas dinner!
Jawl Posts: 8881
[quote:d6ai98n5]i woudlnt be surprised if hubbie still went to his controlling mother for Christmas. she lives 120 miles away & he's a Mammy's boy so baby or not baby he will go to her me thinks. [/quote:d6ai98n5] I would kill him!! Especially so close to your due date, erratic weather etc and him going 120 miles away! >:o(
happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
[quote="Jawl":2wlwg3rh][quote:2wlwg3rh]i woudlnt be surprised if hubbie still went to his controlling mother for Christmas. she lives 120 miles away & he's a Mammy's boy so baby or not baby he will go to her me thinks. [/quote:2wlwg3rh] I would kill him!! Especially so close to your due date, erratic weather etc and him going 120 miles away! >:o([/quote:2wlwg3rh] We were chatting the last night about Christmas etc & he looked worried & said "god i dont know what to do about Christmas now" i could tell he was worried about telling precious Mummy he wouldnt be visiting her & pampering her & running around after her like he has done all his life