Confused about Labour and Hospital Bag

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

S0phia Posts: 367
Ok, this probably the most stupid question but do I need a bag for both? I have a little suitcase on wheels to bring to the hospital with me but from what I am reading people are packing a labour bag aswell. I just presumed that when you are admitted you can unpack your bag if needs be and get what you need? Should I just have a small carry bag for labour and if so what do I need for just that bag? Sorry totally clueless!!
rushinbride Posts: 1097
all you need really is an old nightie, socks, babygro, vest, nappy... I'm sure everyone else will offer other stuff...but this is all my midwife allowed me to bring into the labour ward and it was all i needed!! Also I had a lovely overnight bag as my labour bag and the b!tch threw into my locker and used a plastic shopping bag... :o0 People will suggest loads, but I'd advice keeping it to a minimum but only because hospitals don't like the fact they are carting people's luggage around for them...I'm sure if you need anything DH can run to car and get it for you!!
poppy1 Posts: 596
yep you can leave your suitcase in the car and bring a small rucksack into the labour ward with a few things vest babygro nappy disposable knickers maternity pads vaseline water tens machine if your using one camera when you are brought down to your room your hubbie can bring in your suitcase
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
In your labour bag Old nightie, socks,babygro, vest and nappy, bottle of water, rescue remedy (or something similar), snacks for you and DP, face cloth i got very hot and this was great also gave DH something to do.
rushinbride Posts: 1097
oh jesus i'd forgotten the knickers (disposable) and sanitary towels...I'd be a nice one wouldn't i...
McMummy Posts: 1041
I had a lovely small labour bag packed but when I went into labour they told me to change into my nightie I also put on dark PJ bottoms for walking the corridors in and a pair of slip on shoes. They then took my labour bag off me and told me I didn't need anything else and locked everything else away. They gave me maternity pads, towels, nappy etc and they just swaddled DS when he was born till they took us to the ward after his birth. It was a real pain as DH had to look after my TENS machine till I got my bags back.
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
i had a green superquinn bag as my labour bag and it was perfect. contents as the others have said, try to keep to a mimium. the only tip i have is to put the first things for babs in a little zip bag (like the little food bags) as they just swaddled DD at first and when we got to the ward, DH went off with the nurse to bath her and he just had to reach in and get the little bag with her nappy, vest, babygrow, mits, hat ect. thhink this would be esp handy if you end up having a section, you know men, rumbling around in the bag goodnes knows what he would have put on her :o0
jarashow Posts: 3083
[quote="jiggy_jo":22rq9x01]i had a green superquinn bag as my labour bag and it was perfect. contents as the others have said, try to keep to a mimium. the only tip i have is to put the first things for babs in a little zip bag (like the little food bags) as they just swaddled DD at first and when we got to the ward, DH went off with the nurse to bath her and he just had to reach in and get the little bag with her nappy, vest, babygrow, mits, hat ect. thhink this would be esp handy if you end up having a section, you know men, rumbling around in the bag goodnes knows what he would have put on her :o0[/quote:22rq9x01] Fab idea Jiggy on the zip lock bag!
S0phia Posts: 367
Thanks a million girls, I'll definitely go with the ziplock bag idea or god knows what babs will end up in! I had visions of checking in and unpcking my suitcase before labour - I think i need a reality check that i'm not off on a minibreak! :eek