Menu

Darver Castle brides

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsmcc2502 Posts: 497
any darver castle brides out there past or present? For those who had their wedding there, any advice, things of note? What did you enjoy/not enjoy?
reginaandgary Posts: 32
Hi Mrsmcc2502, I am also getting married in Darver in january. I LOVE the venue, its lovely. When are you getting married? Have you been in touch with tem much, i only have to let them know if want to reserve rooms in the cottages! I figure there is no need for pre dinner music as there are too many nooks and cranys for people to sit in the castle, and would miss out, what do you think!?
MrsSparkle2B Posts: 1689
[quote="reginaandgary":lmmzx3qm]I figure there is no need for pre dinner music as there are too many nooks and cranys for people to sit in the castle, and would miss out, what do you think!?[/quote:lmmzx3qm] I was at a wedding here last year & i have to agree with the above, they did have pre dinner music in the bar & sure we were in the kitchen for ages/then the conservatory part so we didnt even know it was there till we went past him on the way to the dinner. Darver is fab by the way, great choice!
Novemberbride2016 Posts: 44
I'm getting married there. We went to a band showcase, even though we already have our band. Got to see the room decorated for a wedding and checked out the bedrooms again. Haven't spoken to them much as the wedding is so far away, but I think we'll have a big chat when we pay the next balance.
Were going to have my relatives play some music in the conservatory just, that way it will filter through to the other rooms, won't be paying them anyway as they're just doing a few tunes not anything bit just a mini session. Were just in love with the place, it was only the second place we looked at and we paid the full deposit on the spot, so excited for our wedding! Apparently the food is fantastic as well, wedding is so far away but we've picked our courses already lol can't wait! Potato and leek soup Bellingham cheese tartlet 3 mains Sticky toffee pudding Were hoping to change the chicken and mushroom sauce main to chicken with pepper sauce, hopefully won't be a problem! Anyone else changed their menu from that offered? They wouldn't budge when we wanted to swap the included chair covers and centrpieces for something else as we don't want those, hoping they are more flexible about pepper sauce.....
That's lovely that your cousins will play, i don't know anyone who plays so in my eyes it would be an unnecessary expense given the layout!!! I loved the room as it was, so I never asked about changing decor etc, and we haven't decided on menu or anything- Is the 3 choice of mains set or do you get a choice? Im sure they would change the sauce, surely it doesn't matter to them what sauce is used! We wanted a hot whiskey reception as its a January wedding and asked if the sparkling wine could be swapped for this, they said sure it made no odds to them what drink is provided (even though I'm sure whiskey is more expensive and more hassle having people make hot ones!!), but it would be one per guest. Another venue we looked at wanted €5.50 per drink for this option, so i assume they're fairly accommodating in that sense! When we brought our parents to see it, we had lunch in the restaurant and everyone really enjoyed their meals, and its the same kitchen, so no worries there!
Richard Gavin
HI guys, We have a meeting with Darver on Sunday to pay second installment, they sent out a checklist of things to go through before the meeting, and some of the things I expected we would be discuccing nearer the time. Have any of ye had this meeting yet!?
Is this 6 months before the wedding? We've paid the first €1500 on booking but our wedding isn't for another 18 months so we've no meeting again til the 6 month mark, or is this a differmt one? X
Reginaandgary how did the meeting go on Sunday?
Hi @Mrsmcc2502, Yes this is the 6month before the wedding metting! So we went down and met with Laura, She was lovely, it was our first time metting her, we had been dealing with Anne but she will be off on Mat leave soon!! THe main reason for the meeting i suppose was getting the second deposit!! We had printed out the checklist they had sent and decided on a lot of it, but she said no worries if we change things nearer the time. So they wanted to know times of wedding and arrival etc. what our plan was for drinks reception and if we wanted any extra drinks or food. We went trough the room layout and named who would be at top table and they asked whether we would supply centrepieces, table plan etc, if we were having a sweet table or anything else that required setting up. They took names and numbers of videoman, photographer, cake baker, band and any extra entertainment too. We decided on a menu too, we are fairly decisive so had alot of these decisions made before we went in. They do a his n'hers dessert (he got to pick what the boys would have and i picked what the girls would have) I thought this was a great idea!!! Anything we asked was not a problem, they are very good to deal with!! They also wanted a list of who was staying in the castle (we booked this out ourselves-kept it for family and paid for their rooms) so we assigned the rooms when we were there!! The only thing is we have a couple of familys going (parents with 3ish kids) and theres only one family rooom in the cottages and theres a liimit on the fold out beds/cots that will fit in the castle... so I dont know how we will work that one, will see nearer the time!! Feels much more real now, after going through all that with them!!! Hope your plans are coming along well!!!