Dinners for freezing

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Pullover Posts: 18
Just wondering if anyone is planning on or did make up dinners for freezing so as not to have to cook when they come home from hospital? If so any ideas on what are good/suitable meals for home freezing?
OAT Posts: 2207
I'm being admitted in the morning and hubbie and I tried to pre cook a few meals to freeze but couldn't think of many as I HATE mashed potatoe when it's defrosted so the only one's we could come up with were the usuals - Spag Bol, Lasange and Chilli oh and also a chicken curry..
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I regularly freeze portions of beef casserole, curries, lasagna and chicken bakes. Also don't like frozen mashed potato but I've found rice does freeze well (just don't keep it over a month in the freezer). You can also freeze individual soup portions which are handy for a quick meal with a couple of slices of bread.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Have seen this topic a few times and I always wonder if it’s really necessary to have dinners stock piled? Not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything and maybe I’ll change my tune in 4 weeks time but is it really that hard to throw a bit of dinner together when you have a baby? Can you OH not look after this while you are looking after the baby?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I'd think the same Regina but I also plan on having some bits on standby for when hubs goes back to work and I need an instant lunch that isn't rubbish. No harm to be prepared with a few things in the freezer, you never know.
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
you'd be surprised regina, we didn't cook for about a month after DS was born. i was either feeding or sleeping and as for DH, there's always something to be done, washing, shopping, nappies, bath, winding etc. it was so handy to have dinners we could just heat up. the best things i found were sauces as they don't take up much room and then it's easy to cook up some pasta/rice to eat with them. chicken curry, bolognese, chorizo and tomato, arrabiata etc. we also ate a good few M&S meals in those early days and obviously people bring you dinners sometimes which is brill.
Twirl Posts: 5598
I have read a few threads on this too and think its a great idea but like you regina i think, surely i would manage to cook a dinner when babs is asleep but maybe we are living in dreamland, i suppose we will find out soon enough. BUT i think i am going to take this advice and make some bolognese and chicken curry, maybe some soup. Otherwise it will be quick stir frys. We usually buy a turkey fillet to cook and then use for sandwhiches so i might do this too and then get a pork fillet which is lovely in stir frys, freeze the meat after its cooked and then when you are doing a stir fry its easy to just chuck in and heat up.
Marvin Mole Posts: 1076
I really enjoy cooking and also thought how hard could it be to make dinner in the evening. BUT my lo did not sleep very much at all during the day, even from a few weeks old so thank goodness I had stockpiled some frozen dinners! DH did look after her when he got home from work but instead of being able to cook dinner there were other things needed done - such as ironing, doing dishes or walking the dog. To OP - the other things I froze were home made sausage rolls, chicken breasts so they could be defrosted and I could make a quick sauce from fresh, pastry portions to throw together quick pies.
amberjack Posts: 1273
I made some dinners before I had DS - lasagnas, bologniase sauce, curries, frozen chicken breasts, steaks, chill con carne etc and it was so handy. Believe me, you can get so tied up with the baby - feeding, changing - they get fed every 3 hours and it can literaly take well over an hour to feed and wind the first few weeks, no sooner have you finished one and you're on to the next. Also, you are tired from night feeds etc so I found the whole idea of just taking something out of the freezer that morning great and you didnt have to worry about what you're going to cook that day. Also, if you have a section or very sore stitches down below and DH is back at work, it might not be that practical to get to the shops to pick up stuff for dinner. Better safe than sorry in my books and the frozen stuff defrosts really well.
marci Posts: 63
I don't ever freeze dinners and not really sure how to defrost things probably coming across as really dim but say I cooked a lasagne - do I let it cool then put it into freezer how long can I leave it in freezer for? when I want to use it do I have to defrost it first then heat it up or can you heat from frozen?