does wedding ring have to be same size as engagement ring?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsD2B08 Posts: 910
my engagement ring is 2mm in width, but i wanted to get an engraved wedding band with the lovers knot on it, the company i am in touch with are saying that i will prob have to go for a thicker band for this design so would it look silly having a thicker wedding band?
happy08mrs Posts: 624
hi there my wedding band has to be slightly thicker than my e band in order to hold the diamonds in it - i think in certain cases this can be the norm however it should not be hugely thicker that it ruins the look of the rings together so check that out - hope it works out
thanks have asked them to tell me how thick i would need to go.. and i think i will go into a shop and try on wedding bands that size and see how it looks..
milis Posts: 7998
My wedding band will be quite a bit thicker than the e ring. I would have thought from looking at other people most of them are!
hey have been thinking that too.. only started organizing the rings a few days ago and my initial reaction was that it'd be the same size but then they'd look tiny together.. was thinking i could easily go to 4mm and it'd look grand..
milis Posts: 7998
I'm sure you're already doing this (cos I've been obsessed for the past year) but look at friends/colleagues/ people walking down the street :o0 Try on your friends rings, see what they look like on you without pressure from a jeweller!! My e ring is prob about 1.5m and w band is 3.5. My mother's w band is 6mm -it's mad how fashions change :o0
sillysocks Posts: 1390
My engagement ring tapers to the stone (solitaire) and its just under 1mm for most of what you can see! So will definitely be getting a thicker wedding ring.
BarbadosBride Posts: 448
My wedding band is a good bit wider than my engagement ring, its completely different from what I was going to go for, but it really complements. I have a princess cut solitaire and the wedding band has 1carat of emerald and princess cut diamonds. Both rings really work together.