Facebook Question - Jane Smith was at Timbuktu

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Can someone bring me up to speed on these news feeds I've been noticing lately telling me where my friends have been. Is it an iphone application? Are people posting this or is it something that's automatically updating if for instance you log onto FB and the application recognises where you are from google maps or something? Just curious!! :wv
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
its part of the facebook app for iphone.. theres a check in button... i find it kinda annoying..
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
Its called places. Most people would be using it from their phones. You can enable/disable it in settings. I thought you or friends had to "check you in" to places but lately we were wondering if you use it regularly does it check you in automatically. I dont have it enabled. I think its stupid. "Miss Ted checked in at Grafton St" Oh super she wont be home for hours lets go rob her house!
Leanne2112 Posts: 313
Me too! People checking in at work every weekday and at home every weekend!
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
Im so glad someone explained this as it was something I wondered too
buddylove Posts: 3288
I absolutely hate these posts as well.. WTF do I care where the hell you are! And as another poster said... It's really leaving the person open to being robbed or attacked! Who needs to stalk someone now.. Sure FB tells you where they are!
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
I think it's stupid. I checked in once at college and never again- I started thinking Bout the house getting robbed and it really is an open invitation to say "hey I'm not at home, come clean me out".... It doesn't do it automatically, it's something you have to press
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
[quote="jasper11":3kapvrrg] And as another poster said... It's really leaving the person open to being robbed or attacked! Who needs to stalk someone now.. Sure FB tells you where they are![/quote:3kapvrrg] I think this too. A few girls I know in their early 20's check in at work, at home, in the pub. Talk about making it easy for someone to stalk you! Another guy (or possibly his wife) seem to use it for bragging "John Doe checked in at Brown Thomas, Starbucks, or the zoo" on random days like a Tuesday afternoon. I just think do they not realise nobody cares. This is when I wondered if it checked you automatically.
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
This is such a bloody pain in the arse. I know a girl who checks in everywhere & I mean EVERYWHERE, bed being her most favourite & then she tags her partner.. Like I give a sh*t that you're in bed or your partner for that matter, GET A LIFE!!
Sodapop Posts: 3220
It's not done automatically - you have to tell it where you are . You can tag friends with you but the friend has to accept it! so you can't just tag random people who are not with you. I used it on Saturday night and saw that 2 of my friends (who I hadn't seen in a while) were just around the corner - so we hooked up for one - thought that was great! It also shows you directions to a place - great if you are not exactly sure where you are going etc - its like a mini-sat nav from that aspect. For the person who checks in everywhere and is driving you mad - just hide "places" on live feed and you wont see where anyone is ever again.