Menu

Finding out the sex of your baby?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

searchingforBFP Posts: 111
Well I have been dying to find out whether I was carrying a boy or a girl and at my 18 week scan in Ultrasound, I found out that it was a girl! I would have been thrilled either way, but I just had to know. Hubbie didnt mind finding out either and with it being our first, I was so excited. I didnt want to keep it a secret, aftrerall it is great news and there isnt a whole lot of it around at the minute?? My mam didnt want me to tell her, which part of me is annoyed at as I want her to come clothes and baby shopping as the time gets closer.... So what are ye doing??
andmybaby Posts: 648
We can't wait to find out either!! I know lots of people prefer to leave it as a surprise but I think the surprise of actually having our baby will be more than enough!! Also- I can't wait to hit the shops & oooh & aaah over clothes & accessories! Don't plan on keeping it a secret either, although I'm expecting a few 'I don't want to knows' of course! Congrats on having a little princess!! Is it 18 weeks we can find out from??
searchingforBFP Posts: 111
Yeah from about 18 weeks on as long as he/she is in the right direction. Now just to let you know a lot of consultants will not tell you as the accuracy can never be 100 percent if you know what I mean. I have been to ultrsound in blackrock and Monica is a gem, so helpful and empathetic. I sked her to check twice but she said she couldnt be more positive that it was a girl.! Best of luck in the next few months.
andmybaby Posts: 648
Thanks Searching! I had my early scan there at 9+3 weeks. Such a great experience, Monica is lovely & made us feel so good! I would go back every week if I could afford it!!!!!!
Sweetcheeks08 Posts: 317
I voted no - haven't much longer to wait so i think i'll manage (just about) :-8
red_rubies Posts: 2424
I voted no too. Having said that, I did the wedding ring test & another one where you hold a gold chain over your wrist & both suggested a girl so although we aren't going to 'officially' find out, I think it's going to be a girl. I've a friend who had a baby recently & she said if she was to go again she wouldn't find out the sex of her baby (she did on baby #1) so she put me off.
Aquafina Posts: 354
I also found out at that we're having a girl at 18 weeks. Had planned on keeping it secret, but ended up telling some people. Haven't made a big announcement though. My mother also doesn't want to know the sex, but my in-laws know. This is our first baby, so I've no experience of not finding out, but am definitely glad we did!
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
I cannot wait to find out!! My next consultant appiontment is at 18 weeks and then I have my big scan at 20 weeks so hopefully will find out at one of these - I'm sure I'll definitely find out at the 20 week scan
leopardess Posts: 906
i cant wait to find out!! have no patience :) also i personally feel its as much of a surprise finding out at scan than it is at birth, and this way we get to prepare. we found out with ds and told everyone so this time round im half thinking of pretending we're not finding out and keeping it a surprise for everyone else. so its a secret between me and hubby :)
kala Posts: 1937
i had my first baby last july and we didn't find out although we were asked at our 3d scan at 25 weeks.the consultant said to see afterwards that when he was measuring the femur the legs were open and he could see what it was which really confused us. i ended up having a beautiful baby boy and so glad we didn't find out. if i were having another i definitely wouldn't find out.but everyone is different. hubbys brother found out on their 2nd baby what they were having and they said never again so on their 3rd they didn't find out at all. we just had a wonderful few months wondering what we were having and trying to decide on names for both a boy and girl.i was buying all neutral so then when we had a boy i got the grandparents to send up some blue baby gros for a boy. oh how i'd love to do it all again soon, if only mother nature would make AF more regular so we could even get the timming righ- its been so erratic and all over d place since ds was born.so jealous of you all right now. i'd do anything to be pregnant again.best of luck with the remainder of your pregnancies girl