First appointment SP Holles St

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daff Posts: 11644
Hi Girls, I've my first appointment on Tuesday, SP with Dr Foley in Holles St. Just wondering if anyone has any advice, or can tell me what happens? Wondering when I sign up for antenatal classes, and when I get to talk to them about birth plan or ask questions I have (ie. I wear contacts and it says in book to ask if you can wear them at birth etc) Thanks for the help :wv
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hey, I am going SP with McParland. Him and Foley have their clinics on the same day, a tuesday. I'll do this in the order it should happen on the day: I'll tell you where to go to SP clinic as it can be hard to find, you might know alreay so apologies if you do! Go past the main entrance to HS, you will come to an archway where there is a barrier for cars. Here there is a prefab, this is the entrance to SP clinic. Just pop in there and the recpetion desk (with all the charts in cabinets behind lady) will be there. When you go in, tell the lady at the desk that you are a 1st visit. She will check you off the list. Then the secetary/lady there will take you aside and confirm your details. Then you will pay the 500 euro shortfall, receipt given. VHI details etc confirmed. You should be given your chart at this stage too. You go upstairs then to queue for nurse. You will be weighed by nurse, provide a urine sample which she checks for glucose and some other stuff - she will document all this in your chart. You will be then told to wait for the nurse who does the history. This involves just answering questions like medical history etc. Bloods will be also taken, prob about 3 vials and your consent to test requested. Then you wait for the doc. I have to say Foley is [u:1fiuuyo5]always[/u:1fiuuyo5] on time, 1pm on the dot he arrives. He flies thru this patients. McaParland is usually late. On your way out or while you are in the queue to be weighed, grab a few urine containers. They are in a holder on the wall at the top of the stairs. You are best off bringing a urine sample with you on your next visit. The nurse will look for this straight away on subsequent visits. I always grab a few; one for GP visit and next hosp visit. What time is your apt? Mine is always for about 2pm but I go in always for 12.30. THey start receiving ladies from about 12.30, doing weight/urine checks before the docs arrive at 1. I think if you go early/late it's not too busy but in between gets really busy. Antenatal classes: you will be given an appointment card and on the front of that is a list of #'s to ring for various things. The # for booking antenatal classes is there. YOu don't need to book them for a good while yet though. Ask Foley questions any time while you are in with him. TBH you never spend that long wth the docs, about 5-10 mins max!! It's terrible they don't have more time to spend with each patient but that's life and a reflection of how busy they are. Birth plan: mention to him that you want to do one, some docs encourage you to do one, some don't. See what he says. That's about it. Sorry if I rambled, I'm a need-to-know person and somehow think everyone else needs to be well informed also!! :wv
smarties Posts: 176
Great information WedJul05! Do you always see your consultant at your first SP booking in appt? I thought it was just the nurse but I am clueless as this is my first. Would be thrilled to see the consultant at that stage too
yep you always see cons on 1st appointment, unless they are unavailable to attend, they will send one of their team to cover the clinic. Either way, you will see a cons. Foley has been there bar 1 time as far as I can rem. I only saw my cons twice on my last pg but have seen him on both of my hosp apts this time round.
Daff Posts: 11644
Thanks so much WedJul05 - you're a little star! I'm defiantely a need to know person, and your ost was excellent. I wouldn't have had a clue where to go etc so feel much better about it all now. Friend told me to take the urine sample things with me, but I know i would be too afraid to ask, so that's great knowing where to look out for them and that i can take a few. Really appreciate the time and effort you took to post that, thanks again so much. Appointment is at 1, but I'm always early so probably be there a bit before!
You don't need to ask for the containers, just help yourself. If your apt is for 1, be there for 12.30 so. Best of luck. The first time round when we went, we were in the main hosp and all over the shop looking for the SP clinic. At least I know where I am going this time. Edited to say, I'm in work and BORED!!! Only back on friday so I've access to nothing. Glad I could help :wv
baby2008 Posts: 1254
Couldn't have said it any better than WedJuly05. The one piece of advice I was given regardless of your apt time get there early.
Allure Posts: 220
can I just ask whats the difference between SP and public in HS. If/When i get my BFP I'll be going to hs. I have Vivas but i understand I'll still have to pay eur500.00. Public is free right ? Whats the advantange of going SP?
allure, yep with SP there is a health insurance shortfall of 500euro. THink public is free but someone can correct me there....??? I went SP on DS and on this pg too. TBH I don't really know what the differences, if any are with going public as opposed to SP. I know that they public post-natal wards are bigger and I heard they literally shove people over to make room but this could be an exaggaration. There was only 6 of us in one of the SP wards. Think this # is standard. I doube the care you get during labour is any different. Think it just comes into effect really after the baby arrives. HTH :wv
Allure Posts: 220
checked the website there and it says that sp is a room with 2 or 5 beds. My friend went public and there was 6 beds in her room (only 5 in use). Think I would pay the 500 to try and get less people in the room. i'd actually go private if i was sure i'd get a private room but it's 5000 and you only get a room if it's free. that to much money to gamble on a private room being free. so thats the decision made Sp for me... now I just need my BFP :o0