Flying longhaul at 32weeks

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lemon8 Posts: 367
I was listening to a discussion on the radio today where a woman was not allowed on a Ryanair flight from England to Ireland as she did not have the exact words 'fit to fly' on her doctors letter. I am due to fly to the states at 32 weeks+3days and I asked my doctor today for a letter saying I was good to fly. I should have the letter in a few days. Has anyone had any problems flying to the states while pregnant? I am worried I should fly earlier now.
doesmybumlookbiginthis? Posts: 480
hiya i was stopped from flying home from amsterdam when i was 22 weeks pregnant-the airport peeople contacted my gp to confrm i wasnt over 30 weeks pregnant and in good health before they let me on the plane home....they said i looked a lot further along (lol-i was massive!) but that had i been over 30 weeks they would not have let me fly!! check with your airline what their policy is!!!
Thanks Gerimacc. US Airways told me over the phone that I am ok to fly up to 2 weeks before my due date with a letter from my doctor, but they wouldn't give it to me in writing, which has me worried.
did you ask for it in writing or just enquire with them? im not sure i would fancy long-haul at such a late stage though cos i found it really uncomfortable on short flights during my pregnancy-sore back, needing to wee and stretch my legs etc...but then again i was very big with mine...have you flown recently? my babs kicked like crazy through even the shortest of flights which did my head in! r you having babs in america or just a holiday?
I asked for it in writing to be on the safe side. I live in America permenantly, so I will be having the baby there. I might look into changing my flight to fly at 30 weeks. I have emailed the airline there now, so I will see what they say.
when are youj due anyway? do you know what your having?
I'm due at the 25th of October and no we're not finding out what we are having.
workingmom Posts: 3429
Lemon, if you are happy with your doctor's advise, then go for it, have you checked US website, they should have info there on flying when pregnant. Personally, unless it was a life or death situation, no way I'd fly to the US when in the 3rd trimester, there's nowhere to even stop if you needed medical attention, I've done the long haul a few times, and even not pregnant, it knocks the stuffing out of me.
Thanks MrsGK. I couldn't find anything on their website, so I have emailed them about flying then. I think I might just fly back earlier to be on the safe side.
workingmom Posts: 3429
Lemon, looks like you'll be OK, here you go: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/tr ... ldren.aspx I'd say get a letter from your doctor with 72 hours of travel just to ensure that they will let you fly.