Going to gym while pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LuckyNo2 Posts: 14
Hi, I'm just over five weeks pregnant and wondering is it ok to do gym classes? I do a class called Body Pump which is exercise using weights on a bar and i would like to keep it up for a long as I can. Does anyone have any advise on this? Thaks.
Terrier Posts: 283
I am big into exercise and the gym but to be honest was advised by my pilates?gym instructor, who also recently had a baby, that weights are out particularily in the first 12 weeks!!! How about swimmimng, walking or doing the bike and cross trainer in the gym. To be honest if your anything like me and start the tiredness and sickness after 6 weeks you won't be able to face it anyway..
AA11 Posts: 313
I go to the gym all the time as well. I asked the personal trainer at the gym, my gp and every doctor I have come accross about exercise and in particular doing weights during pregnancy. They all said that whatever you were used to doing before is fine, so long as you weren't lifting very heavy weights. You would definitely be advised to lift lighter weights in pregnancy. After the first trimester you are not supposed to lift weight over your head. I think the main risk with doing weights is not to the baby but to yourself, your muscles are more prone to injury.... If you are doing an exercise class I guess the weights you are lifting are not very heavy ? Is it more aerobic with a bit of weights included ? I would ask your gp but I'd say if you are well used to doing the class before becoming pregnant you should be fine. I did a light weights workout the whole way through my first pregnancy and am doing one now as well. I have to admit I didn't do much in the first trimester of either pregnancy though as I was just too wrecked....you might find you feel the same yourself in a couple of weeks time. I did get a new lease of life in the second trimester though and am back in the gym 3-4 times a week.
I googled and found this on doing Body Pump classes during pregnancy....[url:3djvvzvl]http://www.lesmills.com/Files/GlobalCentral/Clubs/PregnancyBrochures/BP%20pregnancy%20brochure.pdf[/url:3djvvzvl]
Hi, Thank you both for your replies. They have been really helpful.
The Contented Little Mummy Posts: 600
[quote="AA09":2idsoncl]I go to the gym all the time as well. I asked the personal trainer at the gym, my gp and every doctor I have come accross about exercise and in particular doing weights during pregnancy. They all said that whatever you were used to doing before is fine, so long as you weren't lifting very heavy weights. You would definitely be advised to lift lighter weights in pregnancy. After the first trimester you are not supposed to lift weight over your head. I think the main risk with doing weights is not to the baby but to yourself, your muscles are more prone to injury.... If you are doing an exercise class I guess the weights you are lifting are not very heavy ? Is it more aerobic with a bit of weights included ? I would ask your gp but I'd say if you are well used to doing the class before becoming pregnant you should be fine. I did a light weights workout the whole way through my first pregnancy and am doing one now as well. I have to admit I didn't do much in the first trimester of either pregnancy though as I was just too wrecked....you might find you feel the same yourself in a couple of weeks time. I did get a new lease of life in the second trimester though and am back in the gym 3-4 times a week.[/quote:2idsoncl] I agree with this. if you are a regular at the weights then you just need to change your routine to light weights with reps of 10-15 pending on what you are doing. However there are certain exercises you should avoid during pregnancy. Sure your gym instructor will help you with this. I am still doing weights (none of the literature that I have read has said otherwise, they only advise not to start something new if you have never done it) I am still going to the gym and wear my heart rate monitor so I can make sure my heart rate doesnt go over 140-150bpm as this is what is advised during pregnancy. I know I sleep so much better after a session but always listen to my body and if I am tired I dont go.
marriedinmay Posts: 578
I love love love Bodypump, I was regular 3 times a week running and body pump. :o)ll Although haven't been for just under 3 months due to getting marrried and honeymoon, I wonder if I will be ok to take up again, although will check with Doc. I might skip running and do the cross trainner? Thought that I would get back to teh gym before failing pregnant as never expected it to happen so quick!! :eek
marriedinmay, when I went back to the gym at about 14 weeks I literally hadn't exercised very much at all for the previous 3-4 months, I had the flu and was busy at work the month before getting pregnant and then I was just wrecked until the 14 week mark. I just built up slowly when I went back to the gym and am flying it now. I was never a runner so I can't comment on running, but I do fast walk on the treadmill and go on the crosstrainer and cycle bike...now that I am a bit bigger I actually find walking fast the hardest..I often get a stitch at the bottom of my bump and have to stop.... Do ask your gp about the running but the crosstrainer is definitely fine at a moderate pace etc...
Hi Girls, Well I went to Body Pump last night and mentioned it to my instructor.She said there is no reason not to do it but to just take it easy until the 12 week mark and to just listen to my body.If I'm feeling tired or faint to stop straight away.She said seeing as I've been doing it all along my body is used to it so shouldn't be any harm. There is a girl in my class who is due in 3 weeks so I'm getting inspiration from her!!
I'm glad the class went well for you LuckyNo2, it would have been really annoying to have to stop when you love doing it, and keeping fit during pregnancy can only be a good thing. Since there is a heavily pregnant woman in your class it does look like you could be good to do it the whole way through..good luck...