Gwen Stefani's son with a mohawk

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sodapop Posts: 3220
Just came across this photo today - do you think its cool that she lets him have this hairstyle or do you think otherwise?
Sassypants Posts: 4461
I think it's cool but don't like that it's dyed. If I had a kid, I wouldnt let them dye it (not that I think it's the child's choice) but I'd definitely let them have little rockstar haircuts!
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I think it's odd. Of course parents dress children according to their own taste, just as much as the childs taste. But myself and DH were talking about this very thing when we saw a boy with a rats tail. He was too young to really want or ask for his hair to be this way. I think it's the parents putting their own style/stamp on the child. On the otherhand it doesn't necessarily do any harm. It isn't permanent and hopefully the child will be free to choose what he wears/does to his hair for himself when he is older. Personally it's not for me. My children will be very boring looking. Pretty ordinary. :-8
Sodapop Posts: 3220
Sassy do you think the mohawk part is fake hair and that his head is just shaved? Just looks a bit too much volume there....
LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
how do they get the hair to stand up is what I'd like to know!
[quote="Sparkle Fairy":884ryud6]Sassy do you think the mohawk part is fake hair and that his head is just shaved? Just looks a bit too much volume there....[/quote:884ryud6] I never even thought of that! Duh @ me! It does look like the bottom of it is quite high off his head. My sister shaves her son's head ever summer, into a mohawk. Now nothing on the scale of this but he's not allowed to have a hairstyle like that in school and he asks for it when school is over. She's been doing it since he was about 7. I think sometimes kids will want that. My husband is a long haired, bearded rocker. He said there is no way our kids will not be cool!!! (but then is there a definition of "cool"?)
lux Posts: 6270
I'm not into "novelty" cuts, clothes etc on children. I agree that they are the parents imposing their style on the kids, but in fairness I'm quite conservative and that's what I'll be imposing on my kids! I have a totally irrational hatred of parents who let a child go out with costumes on when its not for a certain occasion, like a little girl dressed in one of those Disney princess costumes in Superquinn! I know I may be eating my words in a few years but it always bugs me!
[quote="lux":2erinm1e]I have a totally irrational hatred of parents who let a child go out with costumes on when its not for a certain occasion, like a little girl dressed in one of those Disney princess costumes in Superquinn! I know I may be eating my words in a few years but it always bugs me![/quote:2erinm1e] I'm guessing if a child screams and screams and screams you'll be changing your mind! :o0
lux Posts: 6270
[quote="sassypants":sj01lq9m][quote="lux":sj01lq9m]I have a totally irrational hatred of parents who let a child go out with costumes on when its not for a certain occasion, like a little girl dressed in one of those Disney princess costumes in Superquinn! I know I may be eating my words in a few years but it always bugs me![/quote:sj01lq9m] I'm guessing if a child screams and screams and screams you'll be changing your mind! :o0[/quote:sj01lq9m] I know! Like, I used to teach smallies so I know sometimes its easier to let them wear their Little Mermaid dress but I really, really don't like it! Its one of my pettiest peeves EVER! :o0
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
I think some kids are very aware of fashion, young boys see footballers like ronaldo and beckham with all kinds of funny haircuts and want the same to look like them. Every time I walk out the door I see a young boys with hair all gelled up ....heres where Im going to sound like an auld one, you would have never seen that when we were primary school age. [quote="lux":4myz4uvp]I have a totally irrational hatred of parents who let a child go out with costumes on when its not for a certain occasion, like a little girl dressed in one of those Disney princess costumes in Superquinn! I know I may be eating my words in a few years but it always bugs me![/quote:4myz4uvp] I used to work in a shop and one day this woman came in with her young daughter in a fairy kind of outfit, I was on the tills and I asked if she had been at a party and her mother quite embarrassingly said "No she started school this week and I promised her if she was good in school she could wear whatever she wanted at the weekend and thats what she picked" It was so cute and funny!