Having a baby over age of 35?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BarbadosBride Posts: 448
Hi girls, Always thought my family was finished as I had my two girls in my twenties. Now I am getting married for 2nd time and never thought I would be in this happy position mid-late thirties even contemplating having another baby. I know most girls on here will be younger than me but what are your thoughts on having a baby after age 35? Or even at 40. The risks seem to increase dramatically year by year from 35 on. Really hard to take as I feel and look a lot younger but would be considered a geriatric mother?? Are there any of you getting married at this age and are considering having a baby up to age of 40? Apparently it can take longer at this age to conceive ?
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
A lot of people have their first children around 35. I'll certainly be well past that.
Betsy May Posts: 2168
Good God - I hope this is not considered "geriatic"! We are getting married in September - I will be 34 and he will be nearly 39. We are going to start trying while on honeymoon. From what I have read..... Most women in the UK don't start trying until they are 30 and something like 25,000 over 40 conceive each year. Yes, your chances of conceiving are lessened but apperantly research indicates that women who give birth at 34/35 live longer, have fewer health problems and produce children with higher school grades.
milis Posts: 7998
[quote="Betsy May":jjsv6bc6]apperantly research indicates that women who give birth at 34/35 live longer, have fewer health problems and produce children with higher school grades.[/quote:jjsv6bc6] That's really interesting. I wonder is it because they have experienced more before having their children, therefore have more to offer?
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
I am 37 and fingers crossed it will happen if it does i will be geriatric according to medical records :o0 :o0 if not adoption
Sunnyshine Posts: 753
[quote="BarbadosBride":2920j6gb]Really hard to take as I feel and look a lot younger but would be considered a geriatric mother?? [/quote:2920j6gb] I wondered was I the only one who felt that way?! Although as I get older, am 37 now, I think that way less. At least in your favour you have the fact that you know you can get pregnant. I think, and am willing to be corrected, most of us 'over 35s' are only trying for our first. My twin sister has just had her fourth so I'm hoping that's a good sign for me. And think of all the help you'll have from your other two. Free baby-sitting!
Betsy May Posts: 2168
[quote="Milis":2cybxgq6][quote="Betsy May":2cybxgq6]apperantly research indicates that women who give birth at 34/35 live longer, have fewer health problems and produce children with higher school grades.[/quote:2cybxgq6] That's really interesting. I wonder is it because they have experienced more before having their children, therefore have more to offer?[/quote:2cybxgq6] I don't know - the place I read it offered no indication of who had done the research or where to follow up. I would suspect the school grades part is connected to the maturity of the parents. Perhaps the health thing is down to nature wanting to the mother to be around long enough to ensure the sucessful survival of the child - this might be a bit whimsical on my behalf.
BarbadosBride Posts: 448
To me the scariest thing is that the risk of a chromosome disorder is: Age 20 - 1 in 10,000 Age 35 - 1 in 192 Age 38 - 1 in 83 Age 40 - 1 in 66 I suppose though for the majority of people everything is relatively normal but the statistics seem to increase so quickly after age 35.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I had to laugh a bit about term 'geriatric' as I feel that is something that applies to 70-80 year olds, not 30-somethings! I had my first when I was 34, I conceived immediately. When we tried for our second when I was 35, I also conceived immediately, unfortunately it ended in m/c. When we then tried to TTC it took 2 months. I have just had my second daughter in March. We are planning to start TTC No. 3 after Xmas. I will be 37 then. I don't think I am too old!!! My friend had her first at 35, and second at 40, and many ladies I know had only had their first after 30, so I think it is much more the norm nowadays then it used to be. All perfectly happy, healthy babies.
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
[quote="BarbadosBride":11hijogy]To me the scariest thing is that the risk of a chromosome disorder is: Age 20 - 1 in 10,000 Age 35 - 1 in 192 Age 38 - 1 in 83 Age 40 - 1 in 66 I suppose though for the majority of people everything is relatively normal but the statistics seem to increase so quickly after age 35.[/quote:11hijogy] What's the point dwelling on these things? Does it mean you will decide against having a baby or will it just mean that when you do conceive you'll be scared rigid?