Having two guest lists?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

JDD Posts: 1316
Is anyone else doing this? Our venue only holds 160 people for the reception. Myself and H2B have drawn up our list and it's close to 155. I have a large family, some of whom I know won't go to the wedding, but you have to plan for the worse case which is all who are invited will turn up (that sounds terrible, but you know what I mean). I went to my parents to finalise the guest list last night, only to find that my Dad had invited 5 people from his workplace, I had also forgotten three family members that I agree should be on the list, and my Mum wants to invite six of her own first cousins and four of her friends, and two neighbours. So that's 20 extras altogether. These twenty extras came as quite a shock. I can't send out 180 invitations at the same time hoping that only 160 will come. So I was thinking I would invite all that are on the current list (incl the three family that I had forgotten), see how many rejections we get and then go to the 20 extras and see how many we can invite? We getting married in the UK so inviting people to the evening reception only is not an option. None of the people on list number two know the people on list number one, so there's no problems there. Am I hanging myself if I do this?
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
We are kinda doing the same thing as we have a lot of overseas people to invite. Sending out overseas invites 3 months in advance with RSVP date when the Ireland invites are due to go out so we will then know which extras (as I call it the reserve list!) can be invited as we are not going to do afters invites. HTH
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Haven't had our wedding yet, but I believe the numbers declining can be quiet high, particularly when it involves travel. I'd say you could invite your full 180 people and you'll be fine.
JDD Posts: 1316
[quote="LittleLily":ya6xbjz6]Haven't had our wedding yet, but I believe the numbers declining can be quiet high, particularly when it involves travel. I'd say you could invite your full 180 people and you'll be fine.[/quote:ya6xbjz6] I know, everyone's saying this to me. But on the other hand everyone I've mentioned it to so far has said they're going - even my uncles and aunties whom I thought wouldn't go. We'll see how it goes. Thanks fmh62, I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this!