Heartburn so bad it's making me..

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Altar Igo Posts: 119
I've been getting such bad hearburn lately that sometimes it makes me vomit until there is absolutely nothing left in my stomach. I never had heartburn before I was pregnant and only started to get it in the last few weeks so I've no idea if it is normal for it to make you this sick. Anyone else had this?
Mammy101 Posts: 446
I've never heard of heartburn causing vomiting.... but I do know that you can get bouts of nausea & vomiting in the last trimester of pregnancy, as baby is taking up a lot of room in your belly & your stomach can be put through the mill! To alleviate the heartburn, take gaviscon (I find tablets easier to take than the syrup BLAH!) Eat small meals... and if you're still having bouts of vomiting, rather than nausea, talk to your Doc about this.
Thanks Mammy101. I've a GP appointment on Monday so I'll mention to her then but hopefully the Gaviscon will do the trick in the meantime.
livl01 Posts: 255
I had really bad heartburn and it got to the stage that gaviscon just wasn't helping. i got tablets off my doc which have helped so much. So my advice is mention it to him or her.
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
One word ZANTAC. They are fantastic and you can get them over the counter in any pharmacy. They were a life saver when I was pregnant with DS. I used to throw up, my throat used to be raw from it & the acid reflux was just cruel. My doc recommended Zantac and I never looked back, 1 tablet every 12 hours. If I didnt take it after the 12 hours I could literally feel the acid creeping up my throat :eek
[quote="tinyfeet":31rpldvh]One word ZANTAC. They are fantastic and you can get them over the counter in any pharmacy. They were a life saver when I was pregnant with DS. I used to throw up, my throat used to be raw from it & the acid reflux was just cruel. My doc recommended Zantac and I never looked back, 1 tablet every 12 hours. If I didnt take it after the 12 hours I could literally feel the acid creeping up my throat :eek[/quote:31rpldvh] Tinyfeet they're eactly the symptoms I have - I think I'll give the Zantac a try. One ervy 12 hours sounds a lot handier than Gaviscon after every meal. Thanks
holdingouthope Posts: 177
Altar Igo, I've had a similar problem. I'm living on gaviscon, mentioned it to GP and she didn't offer to give me anything else. I even woke up choking one day on the acid reflux. Mind yourself and defo mention it to GP. In the meantime, gaviscon, gaviscon, and more gaviscon!!
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
[quote="Altar Igo":g2hfrqza][quote="tinyfeet":g2hfrqza]One word ZANTAC. They are fantastic and you can get them over the counter in any pharmacy. They were a life saver when I was pregnant with DS. I used to throw up, my throat used to be raw from it & the acid reflux was just cruel. My doc recommended Zantac and I never looked back, 1 tablet every 12 hours. If I didnt take it after the 12 hours I could literally feel the acid creeping up my throat :eek[/quote:g2hfrqza] Tinyfeet they're eactly the symptoms I have - I think I'll give the Zantac a try. One ervy 12 hours sounds a lot handier than Gaviscon after every meal. Thanks[/quote:g2hfrqza] They're magic, hope you get some rest from it :wv
Mari yay Posts: 4045
This might be a load of b*llocks, but when my sister was expecting, she had bad heartburn, and my dad used to swear that taking a tiny spoon of brown sauce (like Chef) would get rid of it!! Now she never did it as she hates the stuff, but if you were desperate you might be willing to give it a shot, can't hurt!! If I had heartburn badly I'd be giving it a go!
jen2 Posts: 3106
Oh agree Zantac was a life saver on my last 2 pregnancies. They worked a treat.