Help choosing a Hotel in Cancun for HM

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Decisions11 Posts: 1246
We are totally useless and trying to decide between: Riu, Cancun - central, lots around to do etc OR Secrets Maroma Beech, Playa del Carmen - 30mins away more of a relaxing place http://www.secretsresorts.com/maroma/ We will be staying there for 10 days, don't want to be bored, yet want our hm to be special and not surrounded by nightclubs etc.. But they are saying if you stay in the centre that is where all the tours go from!! Any suggestions??
2ndtimer Posts: 336
Hi, it's been 10 years since I was there but Cancun is so big and the town has hotels along the beach so even though it's surrounded by nightclubs etc you are still secluded from them IYKWIM. It's very American with it taking 5-10 mins to walk from hotel to hotel and depending how close you are to the town there is a feeder bus that does a loop. There are also 2 towns. An american version with Hard Rock Cafe and all that type in one area and then the actual town of Cancun. It's also what you make of it. Also I remember being exhausted after the flight and with the hectic time coming up to the wedding maybe you'll be glad to get away from it all. I think whatever you pick will have what you're looking for. If you are brave enough I wouldn't go on tours, it's cheaper to hire car and drive yourself. Good luck :)
Decisions11 Posts: 1246
Thanks 2ndtimer. Thats what we trying to decide, be central or out a bit to relax. We thought we had settled on out a bit but then people saying we're going to be so bored for 10 days! I don't want to party and am thinking the same after the flight, we'll just want to chill. Not sure if we'd fancy renting a car.... Could be damaging on the relationship :o0
Kaycee Posts: 2107
i'd 2nd going with maroma and hiring a car!
nightingale Posts: 73
My FSIL goes to cacun nearly every year and she always stays in the hotel Gran Melia. They have like a vip part (called red level) where you get these big beds by the pool, they bring you snacks throughout the day, people from the rest of the hotel have no access to it, you also get your own butler...etc. I stayed in the gran melia in Tenerife and cant wait to go back! The best hotel I've ever been to. We got a room with a jacuzzi in the balconi, you only had to ring and someone came up to set it up for you with rose petals, wine...the best week ever. This is the website for the one in cacun http://www.granmeliacancun.com/en/