HELP! Insurance and Mount Carmel

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

havemovedon Posts: 2013
Can't believe I'm posting in here! :eek Anyway, wedding is in a few months' time and we'll be TTC straight away. Thing is, my health insurance renewal is due and I want to increase my cover so I'll be covered in a private hospital. At the moment I have Quinn's Health Manager Starter which is great but it does not cover Mount Carmel. Obviously we haven't made any decisions yet on where I'll go if, please God, the TTC works out for us but I have done quite a lot of research and talked to family and friends and MC looks like a good option for us. I have the details of the upgraded plan I could take which would cover me and it would kick in straightaway, with no waiting period (once I'm not already pregnant when I upgrade). However I'm still confused as to the exact costs involved and how much we'd have to pay ourselves. Been trawling threads here and still none the wiser as to what's covered and what's not. I know I can claim back 20% on the Med1 alright but between consultant fees, bloods, accommodation etc I have no idea what we're looking at cost-wise. I know it seems early to be considering this but because the renewal is due, and because I hope the TTC won't take too long, I kinda have to get it sorted soon. Any help at all would be much appreciated!
randomusername Posts: 2134
Rioja, We enquired about MC but due to location and the fact that if there are any complications you'll be moved to another hospital and still have to pay the MC fee's we decided against it. VHI will pay €3500 towards a 3 night stay semi private, total charge from MC is about €5000 Cons fee's on top of that run to about €4000, €300 of which is covered by vhi (company plan plus) Also your epi and if you need an emergency section will also be covered Hope that helps
Thanks for that Watermelonbelly! Makes it a little clearer for me. The location really suits us. On the other issue, MC has a special care baby unit and is also attached to a general hospital. In very serious circumstances a baby could be moved to Crumlin but that is also the case in all maternity hospitals in Dublin as happened to my cousin in Holles Street. Cheers again!
JQ10 Posts: 41
Hi Rioja, The cost of Mount Carmel is approx €5,800 for three nights - our health cover is Quinn Health Manager (think that's what it's called!!) and the total we had to pay for the stay was appox €2,500 and Quinn covered the rest. With regard to consultants fees I think this level of cover pays €800 / €900 towards the fees which were around €4,000. I had our baby boy there 5 weeks ago and I would have no hesitation in recommending Mount Carmel, the level of care (for both baby and me) was exceptional - it would want to be for that price!! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
[quote="JQ10":10x19nbk]Hi Rioja, The cost of Mount Carmel is approx €5,800 for three nights - our health cover is Quinn Health Manager (think that's what it's called!!) and the total we had to pay for the stay was appox €2,500 and Quinn covered the rest. With regard to consultants fees I think this level of cover pays €800 / €900 towards the fees which were around €4,000. I had our baby boy there 5 weeks ago and I would have no hesitation in recommending Mount Carmel, the level of care (for both baby and me) was exceptional - it would want to be for that price!! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.[/quote:10x19nbk] Congrats! Hope you and babs are doing well. Thanks for the info. Your recommendation echoes everyone else I've spoken to who went to MC.
gillette Posts: 1803
Thanks also - this is a long way off for me but it's very useful to have the details!