Help!! Shingles...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jolly bride Posts: 29
My grandmother has quite a bad dose of shingles and isn't getting much relief from meds the doctor has prescribed, does anyone know of anything that would help her? Any help at all would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
*Lexi* Posts: 2600
hi found some info for u 1. Cayenne Pepper To The Rescue Many people love hot, spicy foods that are made with Cayenne Pepper. You may even love its hotness too. Taken internally this pepper has a lot of beneficial health effects. Used as an ointment, Cayenne Pepper is a natural treatment for Shingles. It can help relieve the itchiness, pain and discomfort. Simply mix a bit of it in with a soothing body lotion. Apply this mixture onto the area that's affected by Shingles every four to six hours. 2. Apple Cider Vinegar Can Work Wonders Just like Cayenne Pepper, Apple Cider Vinegar has a myriad of healthful uses. It can used as a liniment for Shingles. Just dab Apple Cider Vinegar on the affected area several times a day. Use it at night if the symptoms wake you up! It should relieve the pain and heal the red spots or blisters. Or, you can take Apple Cider Vinegar internally for the natural treatment of Shingles. Pour two tablespoons of this type of vinegar in an eight-ounce glass of tap water. If you don't like the taste of this mixture, add a little jelly or honey to sweeten the taste. Drink this mixture twice a day and see if it doesn't help relieve your symptoms. 3. Oatmeal Isn't Just For Breakfast Oatmeal tastes great for breakfast, but have you ever applied it to that annoying area of Shingles? Mix up some plain, uncooked oatmeal with a bit of water until it forms a paste. Apply the paste to your red spots or blisters. Oatmeal is a natural treatment for this viral illness because it soothes burning skin irritations and relieves itching.
also two vitamin capsules before every meal and break some open and rub on the rash too hope she gets better soon
jolly bride Posts: 29
Lexi thank you so much for your help. See the vitamin tablets, what are they? Was thinking vitamin c maybe. Thanks again xo
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
My Mam got a terrible dose of this towards the end of last year. She developed post herpatic pain afterwards and was in very bad pain for months. In all it took about 6 months to clear and she isnt completely pain free. The older you are the more likely you are to get this pain and especially if the treatment for shingles isnt started early (before the rash comes out) which is almost never as its usually the rash that makes people get diagnoised. One thing she should stay away from is heat, like from a fire, hot water bottle, drinking hot drinks etc, this usually makes the pain worse. Other than that i cant recommend anything else nothing worked for my Mam only time.
sorry it was vitamin e capsules :-8
Babylou Posts: 724
My brother got this when he was 7 or 8 (unusual in children) He got no relief from anything My Mam was so worried she brought him to a faith healer .... my mother is the most practical person you'll ever meet and would never normally go for something like this. She had to bring him for 3 weeks, once a week, and it worked. Don't know if this would help but it mght be worth a look. :thnk
MsCabbage Posts: 674
There is a really good cure man in Knockbridge, Co Louth. I can get details if you want?
wex-girl Posts: 179
hi ya calmaline lotion helps a bit too it's an awful dose hope she is better soon pet
ozypozy Posts: 2950
I had shingles a few months ago and I was on verrrrrrry expensive tablets and I had to apply Zovirax cream on the spots.