Hotel booked up before invites are sent

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nicknax Posts: 280
Is it bad that the hotel our reception is going to be in is booked up before the invites have gone out? I know all immediate family are covered and the BM's but I am getting messages that the hotel is booked. We are providing alternative places to stay with the invites. Is this a problem we should have concerns with or am I just stressing over nothing. I have put a post in LOS just to get it out of my system.
Jawl Posts: 8881
It's bad form if your venue is far away from home for a lot of people. Did they not block book a certain amount of rooms for you?
nicknax Posts: 280
The hotel have blocked booked 15 rooms and they have been booked by some uncles, aunts and cousins travelling from far away as well as the BM's, groomsmen and immediate family. Invitees that will be traveling have been given save the date postcards with the details on them. Now I'm not sure if we have done enough for our guests.
Jawl Posts: 8881
15 is very skimpy! Would hey add more?
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
I think if the hotel is nearly full already you should ask if you can hold the remaining rooms and maybe say to people who you know want to stay at the hotel that they need to book!
teapotty Posts: 2085
If there's alternative accommodation nearby I wouldn't worry- if it's booked up now there's nothing you can do anyway. Our reception is not in a hotel so people have to get taxis to a nearby hotel, it's no big deal. Besides you sent save the dates, people could have booked early if they were bothered.
dublinredhead Posts: 917
Our hotel is also full - its a small hotel and only has 34 rooms - we have told them that we want them all. We did up a list and with family coming from the country we've filled pretty much all the rooms - so we've had to tell Dublin cousins and friends that they can't stay in the hotel and have to stay in a nearby B&B! Not sure how well thats going down - but as far as we're concerned we've covered all the vital people to stay - the others could go home if they really wanted to!!
jasmine29 Posts: 116
Hey Nicknax, we had the very same issue with our hotel..and it was only a week before we sent out our invitataions that we found out that hotel was fully booked & it was only by pure chance we found out.. I had tried to book someone in only to be told it was booked out..( we had booked family in but not friends or relations). At the time we were very annoyed & even considered changing hotels. ( both sides of the family had to travel a good distance to the hotel, so that made it even more fustrating for us). but met with the hotel & they arranged the same rate for a nearby hotel. Some of H2B s aunts & a few from my side were disappointed.. but overall people didn t seem to mind staying in a different hotel.. It s not ideal.. but there was nothing we could have done about it.. We were so annoyed with the lack of communication from the hotel but to be fair they have made up for it since.. Maybe you could check with the hotel to see if there is a nearby hotel they can make an arrangement with. Hope is all goes ok. I know how fustrating it is. I would suggest maybe to push the hotel to see what alternative they can provide.
minkel Posts: 270
I wouldn't worry too much about it especially if you sent out save the dates with the hotel details already. You are also including options with the invites so that will sort others out. There is only so much hand holding you can do for your guests and the hotel is trying to run a business and would be foolish not to take any bookings they can get. It is possible too though that some of your guests who know they will be invited have already booked in their or just may not intend to stay there at all.
MrsBump Posts: 869
[quote="nicknax":3pvpih0n]Is it bad that the hotel our reception is going to be in is booked up before the invites have gone out? I know all immediate family are covered and the BM's but I am getting messages that the hotel is booked. We are providing alternative places to stay with the invites. Is this a problem we should have concerns with or am I just stressing over nothing. I have put a post in LOS just to get it out of my system.[/quote:3pvpih0n] Exact thing happened with us, no one minded :)