How long past your due date before induced??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

petalrose Posts: 33
Hi girls, So im due today. no sign of babs appearing yet at all! was with my cons on friday and he said to come back next week friday and would do a sweep. If nothing happens, then to come back the following week.Is there a policy in hospital about how long they let you go past your due date? really dont want to be a full 2 weeks over. can i ask when i want to be induced?im going to the Lourdes in Drogheda. Anybody any info? thanks x
browz Posts: 256
Hi there I think it varies with each hospital, from 10-14 days. id just ask them what their policy is, am surprized it wasnt mentioned to you, considering you are at your due date now.
petalrose Posts: 33
He was very laid back. was just like come back up next week and we'll see what happens. It was only after I came out, that i thought he would have mentioned how long he would let me go. im so impatient, dreading the thoughts that I could still have have another 2 weeks left!
browz Posts: 256
well hopefully you will go yourself in the next week. Am on first pregnancy so have never experienced induction but alot of people say contractions are much more intense than starting naturally. Think less than half women go into labour on due date , but you might easily go in next few days, power of positive thinking!! Hope all goes well.
theoracle Posts: 7664
Normally 10-14 days, depending on hospital and consultant. I was induced on 10+ but my water went so there wasn't much choice. I wouldnt recommend an induction tbh if you can go on your own.
babybrain2012 Posts: 185
I met with a childbirth consultant recently and I'm so glad I did. I had thought before that I would strongly request an induction as soon as possible but she explained that inducion is not a nice process. Apparantly the drugs they give bring on really strong contractions which can start a cascade of interventions. You're more likely to need other forms of pain releif drugs and possibly epidural to cope - this slows down labour and can result in fetal distress thus increasing the chances of an emergency section in the end. I know that sounds dramatic but she had the statistics to back up the point. It really made me think that I'll just have patience and wait for my body to get itself ready. That said I'm not due for 2 weeks and I'll probably be tearing my hair out by then!! Good luck with the birth whichever way it comes about :wv :stork:
loopey Posts: 215
I was induced 10 days after my due date in the Coombe. I opted for no pain relief and I sailed through it. A lot of people have "hang-ups" regarding induction but in my experience I had no problems with it whatsoever. Best of luck!
Sassypants Posts: 4461
I was induced at 40+14 days in Holles St. Had baby 40 hrs later (so I was 40+16!). Would have preferred to have gone naturally but as previous poster I had no pain relief. Was a long process but worth it!
oldlangsayne Posts: 448
Babybrain 2012 I would second everything you were told. I was induced at 10 days over, had an awful time of it, 50 hours of labour to end up having an emergency C Section. Induction just isnt natural, its all wrong. Would refuse an induction in the future. No way am I ever going through that again.
aston Posts: 4100
On my second I was induced 40+11 days. They brought me in on day 10 and broke my waters on day 11 (thought I would go myself as I had with my first). I did find being induced tougher than going myself but like the op say it is manageable and you will get through it. It made the labour go so much quicker and I had dd in no time! Best of luck with everything, know how hard it is waiting :wv