Hypnobirthing and Gentlebirth ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fxfor3 Posts: 2347
Does anyone know anything about these are they the same thing? Where do you get the cd and can you put it on your ipod?Sorry for all the questiions.
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
www.gentlebirth.ie Tracey D who posts here has something to do with it. I know you can put the cd's on your ipod when you get them, but that's about it! I'd love some more info on it too, sounds very interesting!!
oddwire Posts: 842
We did a hypno-birthing course, you can buy the book / cds on amazon (written by Marie Mongan). The book is quite Americanised though, so not all completely relevant. From what I can make out, Gentlebirth is based on the same principles but written from an Irish point of view. You can buy the books and cds from gentlebirth.ie or book the course. Tracy D is indeed the woman behind gentlebirth, and there are a few posts on here about the method that she has contributed to as well. I really recommend doing the course, as your partner will get a lot more from it that way (rather than you nagging him to read a book) and it makes him a lot more involved. We found that the course just really de-mystified the whole giving birth thing, and makes everything seem a lot more straightforward. Gives you a lot of techniques to use in labour and throughout your pregnancy for relaxation and to help you deal with the whole process.
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
I did hypno birthing and I cannot recommend it enough. I did a course with Tracy and received my book and cd's there. I practiced every night and twice a day in the last 2 months. During labour I couldn't concentrate on the relaxation exercises but when I got to the labour ward I put on the music and closed my eyes and was out of it. I did use some gas and air for the last 2 hours but I can't remember any pain honestly. The contractions were un comfortable but totally manageable and the actual birth I could feel the sensation of him coming out but no pain. It made a huge difference for my pregnancy too, I went from a panicing constantly worrying things would go wrong pregnant woman to a chilled out Mom to be. I also think it help me with the breast feeding as it helped me relax and stay confident that it was all natural and it would work out. Best of luck ladies!
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Garfield, There are a few options for you. The GentleBirth workshop is a complete birth preparation class so it covers labour/birth and your options in Irish hospitals and as others have said it really gets the Dads engaged so they take their role a lot more seriously. You can let your partner know ahead of time that there is no chanting, incense burning or sandal wearing (at least not by the instructor) :o0 There's generally no need to take another hospital class (especially not the labour one) but if you're planning on breastfeeding I'd definitely go to that class. The GentleBirth homestudy program is a great option if you can't get to a workshop and you still get support while you use the program with the GentleBirth online group. It's a 5 week program that you do at home yourself with 3 CDs and an instruction book. For a Mum that is getting close to her due date the Hospital Birth Preparation CD is a great tool - especially if you prefer not to follow a structured program and want to have just one CD to focus on. Anything you can do to make the rest of your pregnancy more enjoyable and makes the big day a lot less daunting is a good thing ! Hope that helps! Tracy
Milis in disguise Posts: 727
Dairy Queen, how far gone were you when you did the course? Tracy, at what stage would you recommend it? Sorry for the post highjack Garfield :-8
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
I think I was about 6 months gone I would do it around 5 months, give you loads of time to practice. Tracey might have better advice re that though. This time as soon as I come home from my gynae appointment I'm going to do my cd. Really looking forward to the relaxation time again.
TracyD Posts: 750
Hi Dairy Queen - bring your CD to your gynae appointment :-) I tell all my mums to bring their iPod to their hospital appointments - it's a great way to get some practice in and you're creating a more positive association with the hospital/doctors office. Just4p+b - I would get going with the CDs - it makes a huge difference in reducing stress levels during your pregnancy long before you even do the workshop. Then come along to the workshop when you feel it's the right time for you - most mums come around 20+ weeks. My rule of thumb is the higher your anxiety levels the sooner you should started and the cost of the homestudy program is discounted off the workshop. HTH Tracy
fxfor3 Posts: 2347
Thanks a million for all the replies girls. Great to see they are so positive. I think ill go ahead and get the cds and book. Im hoping for a more relaxed approach this time. I tend to suffer from aniexty and last time bp was through the roof so hoping this will help relax me and keep things under control. Also ended up with c section last time and am really hoping for vbac this time so hopefully this will help that also.
snowbear Posts: 2107
Great thread! I'mm hoping to do the course... just need to sit down with DH and figure out the weekend that suits... a mate of mine lent me the CDs so I'm going to load them this week. She can't say enough good things about it... laboured at home for hours listening to her CDs and bouncing on the ball and from the time she got to the hospital to the time of delivery was... less than 3 hours!!! I know we won't all be that lucky but it's SO nice to hear the odd good story as well as the scary ones!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8