I have two good friends coming to stay with us for the weekend and i feel terrible today...sneezing all the time...aches and pains...hot then cold...deaf in my ears and runny nose etc etc so I know Im getting at least a cold and at most a flu. Im here with saline spray but of course its doing nothing as I regulary suffer with sinus infections all my life that require strong antibiotics. I know that I couldnt get through the pregnancy without this happening (given the time of year and all) but is there anything you can recommend?? I dont want to spend the weekend in bed but not sure what i can use to shift this or get some relief
Go to the doctor! If you normally suffer from sinus infection there is something they can give you that won't harm your baby.
Im going to try to fight it for the weekend and will go on Monday. Ive searched through the WOl website and Im going to try honey, lemon and ginger and drink loads and keep going with the saline. Roll on going home time!
As I'm only 6wks gone I can't take anything at all.
I have been drinking boiled water with some freshly cut up wedges of lemon and orange and a good squeeze of honey. It really soothes my throat. If you can stomach it eat the orange and lemon wedges after so you're not wasting any of the vitamin C.
Get early nights whenever you can. Thank god DD goes to bed at 7.30 (and sleeps) coz it means so can I
I have this too. Woke up with it on Monday morn
While i was pregnant i drank honey, lemon and ginger and it definitely helped. Bring a big mug of it to bed. Hope you both feel better soon.
Word of advice ladies but lemons will congest you further. Just stick with the honey and ginger and that will help. Also a vicks plug in a room will do you the world of good
really?? What about oranges?? Could I use them instead of lemon?
I felt a bit the same this mornign so took some Vit C....am I allowed to take this? Hope so and two panadol and I feel better already.
Also I find a scarf around the neck before the cold gets to the chest is a good idea and the chest is kept warm and so helps for the infection not to get too bad...I suffer from chest infections and no way I'll make it to Jan without one so I'm ready for it
Its just typical! i hate being sick.
Some info below from Babycentre website.
[b:hma7n1ux]How can I treat coughs and colds safely?
There are lots of safe, natural ways to help alleviate cough and cold symptoms:
• Eat nutritious foods - a well-balanced diet, including plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables will give you the right amounts of vitamins and minerals, carbohydrate, protein and fat.
• For a cold with a stuffy nose, try a steam inhalation. With a towel over your head, lean over a bowl of hot water with two or three drops of eucalyptus oil or Olbas oil added and inhale to help clear the congestion.
• For a sore throat and cough, make up a soothing drink of hot water, honey and lemon.
• Gargling with salt water or sucking throat sweets can help ease a sore throat.
• Rest when you feel you need to - sleep helps your body to heal itself.
• Drink plenty of fluids to replace those lost through all the extra mucus your body is producing or sweating, if you have a fever. Warm drinks are especially soothing when you have a cold - try rosehip tea, which is rich in vitamin C.
• For congested sinuses, Denise Tiran, a lecturer in complementary therapies and midwifery, suggests putting two drops of tea tree or eucalyptus essential oil onto a tissue and sniffing it at regular intervals.
• You could also try another complementary therapy, such as homeopathy, but always see a registered, qualified practitioner first and do mention that you are pregnant. [/b:hma7n1ux]