labour bag- essentials

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
Could we make a list of the ESSENTIALS for labour bag. I know people like to bring thing like water sprays for face, iPods etc but I'd like to know what the absolute basics are and then decide on the optional bits myself. Nightdress? Sanitary towels (yuck!) What else?
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Disposable underwear nappy for baby babygro Vasaline for ur lips Spare nightdress Pen n paper Camera Ur mobile Think thats all thats in mine plus its all in a wash bag so all I have to do is grab it out of the case and we're sorted !!!!
alton Posts: 3077
I was just pruning my list last night! This is what's left: -cheap and cheerful nightdress -hospital chart, birth plan, insurance details -vaseline for dry lips -MP3 -sanitary towel -large granny-knickers -dark coloured towel -flip flops -clothes for baby (vest, babygro, scratch mits, hat, nappy) Everything else can go in another bag, and sit in the car boot until it's needed. And DH will have his pockets stuffed with: -change for parking and vending machines -mobile phone -stash of sweeties Of course once I get past the "bouncers" with my sensible discreet tiny little labour bag, I'll be sending DH out to bring up all sorts of other things!!!
newly_wed Posts: 1039
I've also packed a light dressing gown and slippers as want to be able to pass the time walking the corridors if I need to. And I've packed facial wipes and a face-cloth to help keep me cool!
workingmom Posts: 3429
Socks for your feet, it can get cold, oh and some deodorant, I don't want to be whiffy.
jarashow Posts: 3083
I am defo packing a tooth brush and small tooth paste, will probably use one of those travel packs.
dhidra Posts: 3147
change for parking meters, charger or spare battery for your mobile and petrol in the car at all times!
workingmom Posts: 3429
Hmm.. and a bobbin for my hair, I get hot hot when I am under pressure
Blackbird Posts: 5135
I second whoever said dressing gown and slippers. I didn't get a chance to walk the corridors so I didn't use the dressing gown but I needed slippers for going to the toilet. I brought face spray and didn't use it, I don't think I would have been able to stand it. Used a damp face cloth though, that was quite nice. Brought MP3 but only used it for a while. They give you maternity pads in the delivery suite so don't worry about that in your labour bag. Bring disposable knickers though and a fresh nightie to put on for doing down to the ward. You can bring your own blanket for babs if you want but I just used the hospital ones. Toothbrush and toothpaste aren't a bad idea but you probably won't use them. I got sick at one stage and it would have been nice to freshen up but there's no way I was in a fit state to actually brush my teeth. Bobbins for your hair are a must and that's about it! Really when it comes down to it you need very little in your labour bag. I put in deodrant for hubby but never used it.