Ledger died of 'accidental overdose of prescription drugs'

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dreamer Posts: 3941
[i:1x1cm3n4]Actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs which included painkillers, sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication, the New York City medical examiner said today. "Mr Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine," medical examiner's spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said in a news release. The drugs are the generic names for the OxyContin painkiller, the anti-anxiety drug Valium, Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom. Hydrocodone is another name for ibuprofen.[/i:1x1cm3n4] My question is.............how can they say for certain it was an accidental overdose??
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="dreamer":2c7i79mz] My question is.............how can they say for certain it was an accidental overdose??[/quote:2c7i79mz] I'm guessing here, but I'd say that suicide victims have probably taken a shed-load of stuff, just to be sure. It's possible/probable that in this case the amount of drugs taken wasn't that far over the correct dosage, or that the dosages were correct but just shouldn't have been mixed. I'm pretty sure that would show up fairly easily in a toxicology report.
she Posts: 3298
my question is ,,,,,what twat of a doctor gave him all those different drugs!!!!!!!!!it just seems like an awful lot of different tablets. :eek
You would not BELIEVE the number of pills many Americans are putting away. Seriously, it's nuts.
You would think that! But as everybody reacts differently to every single drug, I really don't think they can say that given that the level of valium was [i:383shfkq]xxmgs[/i:383shfkq] that it was an accident. What's to say that Heath Ledger hadn't done his research and thought for example 10 Valium, 10 Xanax and a few of the others mixed together would be enough to kill him? The reason I ask this is I have had experience with attempted suicides from drug overdoses. Not my own! I know one person who took a months supply of anti-depressants and anti-psychotic drugs and washed it all down with a card of sleeping tablets..... did not pass out, did not need her stomach pumped and lived to tell the tale. I'm just a bit sceptical!!
Sounds like you know more about the area than I do, dreamer. I suppose I'd like it if, just this once, a celebrity death was accidental as opposed to suicide/recklessness. I don't know why I care, really. In fact, come to think of it, I don't!
NowGone Posts: 8042
[quote="she":24qpvxth]my question is ,,,,,what twat of a doctor gave him all those different drugs!!!!!!!!!it just seems like an awful lot of different tablets. :eek[/quote:24qpvxth] Two points: One, who says it was just one doctor? Secondly, my mother is on 24 different drugs. It's not that many by any stretch of the imagination. I think in a case where it's not evident that it is a suicide, it's ruled accidental. He didn't mean/intend to do it, therefore it was an accident - "misadventure".....
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
In the full statement the ME described the overdose as resulting from the [b:blt95vre]abuse[/b:blt95vre] of prescription drugs. SO is there a difference between Heath Ledger dying from an accidental overdose resulting from the abuse of prescription drugs (several of them narcotic) and River Pheonix dying from an accidental overdose resulting from the abuse of illegal drugs (including a potent narcotic)?
[quote="NoZilla":3fek49el][quote="she":3fek49el]my question is ,,,,,what twat of a doctor gave him all those different drugs!!!!!!!!!it just seems like an awful lot of different tablets. :eek[/quote:3fek49el] Two points: One, who says it was just one doctor? Secondly, my mother is on 24 different drugs. It's not that many by any stretch of the imagination. I think in a case where it's not evident that it is a suicide, it's ruled accidental. [b:3fek49el]He didn't mean/intend [/b:3fek49el]to do it, therefore it was an accident - "misadventure".....[/quote:3fek49el] ....according to the New York City Medical Examiner. We will never know what Heath Ledger intended to do, I guess. Either way, the guy is a loss to his daughter, family and friends and was obviously struggling with life. I don't know why I care, but I'm a softie!!
graceface Posts: 3632
I just think it's incredibly sad that, whether the actual overdose was accidental or not, that he was in such a bad place mentally and emotionally that he needed to many different medications for depression/anxiety/insomnia conditions that are so interlinked with each other. I can appreciate that medication is totally necessary in many of these cases, and it can help. But to me it's just sad that he was in such a bad place at all. Depression like that can be really scary, and whether or not he intentionally caused his own death, it certainly sounds to me like he was depressed enough to be careless at the very least with his medication. Poor guy :o( I just feel really sorry for him. I thought he seemed really nice...