low lying Placenta

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Snuggles Posts: 58
Hi Girlies, I dont post alot but read alot! hee... I found out last week at my 20 week scan that I have a low lying placenta, i have bleed twice over the last few weeks. They are re scanning me at 34 weeks to see if it has moved up. Which can be quite common so fingerscrossed. My question is i am due to fly in 4 weeks to uk to do bridesmaid for my best mate. Has anyone flown with this or know any reason why i couldnt fly. Thanks and hope all you are feeling good. xx
sunsparks Posts: 2196
I flew at 15 weeks with a low-lying placenta. There was no medical reason not to fly, but they did advise that I consider where I would go if I got more bleeding. There's no reason to suspect you would, but you know what it's like when you've got a llp cos it can happen when you least expect it! I wouldn't let it stop you, just remember you shouldn't be lifting anything and that includes baggage, etc. Also limit the walking you do. Otherwise, hopefully all goes okay for you. My llp had moved by the time I got to 24 weeks, so it does happen!
hopingforsoon Posts: 1152
I had a week of bleeding when I was at 13 weeks because of a low lying placenta ... it was still low at 20 weeks, but moved up by about 24/26 weeks thankfully. When I was bleeding, and because it was such an early stage, I was just told to rest completely - should have taken the week off work but couldn't as there was no cover. But no housework, no lifting, no walking around etc. It was straight home, on to the couch, then up to bed and that was it!! So if you are going for the wedding, you need to be very aware of this - you can't overdo things. To be on the safe side, I would ask my own GP if he/she thought it was safe for me to fly ... every case is different ... mine was just the edge of the placenta at the opening, whereas other cases can be that it lies completely over the opening.
Snuggles Posts: 58
Thanks girlies for your replies. Good to hear from other people that had the same issue. I am going to go doctor on Monday and check all is ok to fly etc. Thanks X :-8