off topic - rushmere shopping centre

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Shinney Posts: 266
Hey all, I know its off topic but Im looking for the most traffic. Myself and dp are heading to the north tomorrow for some shopping and we're thinking of skipping newry and going to rushmere shopping centre in craigavon. Anyone been there? Would you recommend it / do you have any advice? Thanks in advance. x :wv
The PDQ Posts: 954
Hi Shinney, I'm going there Saturday. Are you going today? Haven't been there before so would you let me know what you think?
RainbowBright Posts: 1425
Haven't been there but we went to Downpatrick last weekend and went up to Asda in the Ballydugan Retail Park (about 25mins on from Newry). They have an Argos Extra Store, Halfords, New Look (huge), Peacocks and some other stores there too. It was worth the trip up but I did think that the Asda could have been slighly bigger. George at Asda have some lovely clothes and very cheap and are of a good quality. Got a pair of trousers for work for £5 and a pair of boots for £12.
Hey, sorry just getting back on now. I cant recommend going up enough. We headed at 11.30 from navan, traffic was mental going into newry so we headed on for craigavon and it was great. No traffic, no queues, no trouble getting parking. They have matalan, next, currys, tesco, sainsburys, dorothy perkins, debenhams, barrats, clarks, etc etc. I got €70 worth of clothes in dorothy perkins for €54 with the exchange. Sainsburys and tesco and some others all accept € so just use 50 notes and your change is in sterling so you'll be flying. Dp saw levis he normally pays €97 for and they were only €67. I also got knee high suede and leather clarks boots on sale for €42. We got gallo zinfandel rose for €4.30 ish a bottle, pint bottles of bulmers were €1.60, sparkling jacobs creek wine -white and rose - were on offer in tescos for just over €7, spirits were €11 per bottle. Sainsburys and tesco both were really cheap for nappies / wipes, babies bits, crisps, drinks, etc etc. We arrived at about 1.20 and were still wandering around at 8. The boots in the rushmere was small enough ( for the likes of presents) but you come home through lisburn and there is a huge boots there that we didnt get to in time. You also pass the turn off for banbridge on the way which has a huge discount outlet and we're gonna get there the next time. Basically for anyone shopping in dorothy perkins / oasis / debenhams down here the rate is £1 costs you €1.50 but up there you get £1 for only €1.19 so its so worth it. Good luck all. (Finally if you are thinking of going down the corkage route you can get really cheap good wine without a booze run to france. ) :wv
The PDQ Posts: 954
I was there at 9am Saturday morning, so no traffic or parking probs. Very good prices and shops. Well worth a visit.
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Shinney, how long did it take you to get to Craigavon?
Hey grunge bride, we left navan at 11.20 and arrived in craigavon at about 1.20 so about two hours but in that we turned at the newry turnoff and saw the traffic so went back on the road to craigavon and we also stopped on the way up for tea so it would only be about hour and a half from navan. We went through slane and took the turn for cullen and onto the motorway outside cullen, that way you avoid drogheda.
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Shinney / any other Rushmere-goers, what happens if you decide to pay in euro up North.....is the rate they give you as good as if you paid on your credit card in sterling and accepted the bank's exchange rate (which was 0.82p to the euro last time I checked)