Please some one advise me re Docs fees...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anon - Please help Posts: 203
Ladies Im like a bull. Took some time off last week as LO had a cold and wasnt sleeping therefore I wasnt sleeping. I was suffering really bad with All day sickness so I just couldnt make it into work. Anyway work know that im expecting again but they still requested a cert. Rang doc and ordered one. Mam went over there now for it and was charged €50 yes €50 for it!!!! All it says is that I was unfit for work from xxx till xxx!!! Can someone please advise if they can so this...am I not covered under my combined care?? Cant ring doc right now as there are too many ears here beside me and its only my manager that knows my news. Im shaking with temper! If I had known it was going to be €50 id have gone over to see him and gotten my monies worth!! Please advise...
twinbambinos Posts: 3492
you are most defiantly entitled to free GP care for you under combined care. Are they aware in your gp's that your pg? have you filled out the forms? I would most defiantly be ringing them back and saying you will be over later to collect your 50 as you are entitled to free care..They prob just forgot or maybe chanced their arm at charging your mam but defo would be requesting it back!!
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Er, I thought that the free combined care scheme only covers your routine pregnancy visits - every 8 weeks/then every 4 weeks. I think that any other visits - standard private consultations - are chargeable.....
theoracle Posts: 7664
Have you registered for combined care? Maybe they just made a mistake? I would give them a call and ask, normally you should be covered, though some GPs take a very narrow view of a cold not being a strictly pregnancy related issue - I never had this problem and was covered, but I have read in the past on here of some GPs being akward about it. Sorry, just realised it is with sickness you took time off not a cold/flu, yes, definitely in that case you should be covered! ask for a refund.
Sydney Bristow Posts: 185
Under combined care you are only entitled to free visits for your actual antenatal appointments. Any other appointments or arrangements you make with the doctor must be paid for in the normal way. Some GP's do give free appointments to people while they are pregnant for other issues, though, and I think this is where the confusion comes in.
Anon - Please help Posts: 203
When I called for the cert the witch on reception asked me why I felt the need to take some time off. I told her that I was suffering really badly with all day sickness and that I wasnt sleeping so therefore I couldnt function! I didnt mention LO's cold. Im so annoyed. I cant afford to be throwing €50 around willy nilly.
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Here you go:- http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/he ... vices.html The combined medical services are provided by your family doctor (GP) and a hospital obstetrician. The GP provides an initial examination, if possible before 12 weeks, and a further 6 examinations during the pregnancy, which are alternated with visits to the maternity unit/hospital. The schedule of visits may be changed by your GPa and/or hospital obstetrician, depending on your individual situation. If you have a significant illness, e.g. diabetes or hypertension, you may have up to 5 additional visits to the GP. [b:1czi4kon]Care for other illnesses which you may have at this time, but which are not related to your pregnancy is not covered by the Scheme.[/b:1czi4kon] ...
Perci Posts: 3847
If you haven't signed the forms then you wouldn't be entitled to free antenatal visits. If you've signed the forms then the GP is well within his rights to only allow free pregnancy related visits and everything else can be charged. But, there was no consultation so it was really bad practise that they wrote you a cert without seeing you.
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
The free care does vary depending on the doctor. The combined care schedule entitles you to 1 visit before 12 weeks and then the rest are all from 24 weeks onwards, they can charge you for other visits if they want to, but some don't seem to. However, €50 for a sick cert without you even being there!!! :ooh I would be fuming too. I would ring them and say is that really what you charge just for a cert! My doctors charge something like €20 for results and certs and things like that where you are not having a full consultation. I'd be considering changing gp's if that's what they charge routine, that is assuming you can find another one nearby that has reasonable fees. Just saw MM's post with the extra stuff on it, definitely get back on to them and confront them!
theoracle Posts: 7664
But her illness is obviously related to her pregnancy. That is why I said, some GPs view eg a kidney infection as pregnancy related, and some don't so the line is blurred. Hyperemesis though is clearly pregnancy related.