Private Care - Holles St or Rotunda & recommend consultant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hopeful13 Posts: 501
Im totally in the dark on this .... I know I'm going to go private but none of my close friends have had babies in Dublin so can't decide between HS and Rotunda (close enough to either), can't ask colleagues yet! Is there that much of a difference between HS and Rotunda for private care and can anyone point me in the direction of a good consultant (who will reassure a 1st timer!!!) Thanks ladies
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I can highly recommend Rhona Mahoney in Holles Street, especially for a first baby. I had a strong preference for a female consultant and preferred other aspects of Holles Street for my own reasons. PM me if you want any information.
Bluebear Posts: 1594
I had DD in Rotunda under Dr Geraldine Connolly and have booked in with her again. I found her fantastic, very practical, reassuring and easy to deal with. On a superficial level I was told there is more chance of getting a private room in Rotunda than Holles St as they have more private accommodation. I have dealt with both hospitals in the past & found them both very pleasant to deal with. On a side note I was warned that the private clinics are very busy so not to leave it too long to book as you may not get your preferred consultant.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I was very happy with care from Dr Mary Holohan in the Rotunda. Some may find her manner a touch brisk but she is a good doctor and I found she is very highly regarded by the midwives which is always a good sign. They would tell you that some of the consultants aren't worth the letters after their names! If all is well she just won't spend more time than she needs to. But when things took a turn for the difficult she was attentive and considerate and explained our options in a very neutral way and our decisions were respected. On the Rotunda, I spent a good 24 hours walking the corridors and the thing that struck me was how clean it was kept. Something you expect but don't always get in hospitals unfortunately. I was lucky to get a private room but it wouldn't have bothered me if I hadn't.
Lady Penelope Posts: 2019
I would second Rhona Mahony in Holles St. She was fantastic throughout my pregnancy.
jamseyjo Posts: 1132
Cant recommend a doc but the Rotunda were brilliant. I like their take on things. Holles street have old fashioned views, ive a few friends that had one baby there and wouldnt be seen inside the doors ever again but there will be bad stories in every hospital. I couldnt fault the rotunda.
amberjack Posts: 1273
I used Dr Rishi in The Rotunda for my 2, he was fab, got scanned every time and he was always there when needed. He has also been voted as Obstetrician of the Year 2012 in the Maternity & Infant Awards, so must be doing something right.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
[quote="jamseyjo":1zo1ias5]Cant recommend a doc but the Rotunda were brilliant. I like their take on things. Holles street have old fashioned views, ive a few friends that had one baby there and wouldnt be seen inside the doors ever again but there will be bad stories in every hospital. I couldnt fault the rotunda.[/quote:1zo1ias5] I have to say I've heard more of this sort of thing about H St as well.
leo20 Posts: 309
Shane higgins in holles street is fab - love him xx
lila Posts: 982
Dr Boylan in Holles St. He is just fantastic :)