Recommend your Highlighter!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

shortie26 Posts: 260
Hiya, I need to invest in a good highlighter. I have read reviews online and I am caught between Benefits High Beam or the Smashbox one. Just wondering what any of your recommendations would be and if anyone had any tips on how to apply?
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
I use the Benefit one and find it good. I just dot it along the top of my cheekbone and along the temples, then lightly rub it in (after applying all other make up first). I love the Smashbox primer so I wonder is their highlighter better than Benefit, presume it's pricier? MAC strobe is meant to be another great highlight product.
StarLilly Posts: 684
Benefit high beam! Benefit have quite a few highlighters so you should be able to find one for your skin tone. I use it on my brow bone and my cheek bone -kind of a C shape. I use it after foundation etc, but before blusher
paul duane photography Posts: 408
Benefit high beam for me all the way - gutted i lost mine on a trip to uk last week, i found a cheapy alternative til i get out to debenhams to get a replacement - Fiona Duane xxx (lol bet you're all reading this thinking paul duane the photographer wears make up ha ha i assure you he doesnt its just his wifey here :o0 ) here it is: - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281132857566? ... 1439.l2649
vintagebelle Posts: 5
Smashbox Soft lights shimmer is amazing, love it! I've had both and honestly both are great so i would base my decision on complexion and skin type. I'm pale with an oily t-zone, the smashbox one is perfect, lovely silky powder, so easy to work with, perfect colour for me. I think high beam, which i've applied to many a face (qualified but not practicing MUA) looks lovely on people who don't have high colour, i flush too easily and don't think it's suits me as well as the smashbox one, the opposite is true for my sister lol High beam gives a beautiful dewy look to drier skin and adds a touch of colour, whereas on me the smashbox one is very subtle colour-wise, slightly peachy. It really is apples and oranges, both fab, but both tend to suit different people. Hope that helped a little bit :wv
shortie26 Posts: 260
Ah fiona u have shattered my illusions- had a vision of paul all dewy and glowing behind the camera ha ha!!! Ah thanks vintagebride, very comprehensive. Its good to hear from someone professional but not biased. If go to benefit counter they will say their product is better same with smashbox. I have fairly sallow skin but prone to flushing, I am trying to achieve dewy look and just enhance my make up, so thanks a million!!
littlelulu Posts: 515
[quote="shortie26":2p1lbh37]Hiya, I need to invest in a good highlighter. I have read reviews online and I am caught between Benefits High Beam or the Smashbox one. Just wondering what any of your recommendations would be and if anyone had any tips on how to apply?[/quote:2p1lbh37] Is it bad that I thought you meant one of those luminous markers. I thought you were some office nerd or something comparing them :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: Oh god I need to keep up to date with things. I've never even heard of any of the above :duh:
paul duane photography Posts: 408
ha ha ha too funny shortie26! he'll kill me posting on here about make up lol - as for you littelulu ha ha ha thats hilarious can ye imagine putting highlighter pink on your cheeks lol!look like this :yelrotflmaosmilie:
littlelulu Posts: 515
[quote="paul duane photography":3cvbgpxc]ha ha ha too funny shortie26! he'll kill me posting on here about make up lol - as for you littelulu ha ha ha thats hilarious can ye imagine putting highlighter pink on your cheeks lol!look like this :yelrotflmaosmilie:[/quote:3cvbgpxc] It was only when I read the first response that I realised it was make up!! I even thought she was nuts asking for tips on how to apply it :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: I was wondering when stationary got so complicated :yelrotflmaosmilie: I need to start going to town more often and having a look around :compress